Guppy Postmortem Birth

1. a

anitazoechang Initiate Member

My female guppy died today but she was so heavily pregnant I decided to do a C-section on her immediately after she had died. I used a scalpel and cut from her cloaca up her belly and squeezed out the babies into the tank. They initially looked like they were all dead, but after I left them for a bit, a few of them started wiggling around!! Also had to remove a few of the egg sacs from those that were still curled up by tapping them gently until they unfurled. Ended up with 7 that were still alive at the end of the day that seem to be sucking up their yolk sac pretty quickly. Fingers crossed they make it till the morning! DSC_3457.JPG DSC_3467.JPG

2. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Oh...very interesting!

3. Rainy day

Rainy day Well Known Member Member

Neat, hope it works out for you.

4. Ms rose

Ms rose Well Known Member Member

wow your brave haha. this is so cool i am so intreigued
    (or however you spell it lol)please update as thing progress! :)

5. midna

midna Member Member

that's crazy! good job rescuing the bbs. sorry about the momma.

6. OP
    OP
    a

Thanks, midna, she was a good gal

All 7 of the babies made it through the night, but unfortunately the Magnificent 7 lost a member during the day. The baby that passed had the biggest yolk sac and was lying on the bottom of the container when I checked up on them this morning, so I didn't have high hopes :( 2 of the babies have completely absorbed their yolk sacs and the remaining 4 have absorbed a fair bit. Looks like they're getting smaller every hour. The remaining 6 are all up and about swimming around without trouble (not doing that weird whole body side to side swim that preemies sometimes do). Will keep you guys updated on how they progress!

7. s

smee82 Well Known Member Member

Hope they make it

8. OP
    OP
    a

All 6 babies have survived through the night and all of today! Their yolk sacs have been completely absorbed at this point and they look like regular baby fry, albeit a bit smaller than usual. All are darting around but occasionally rest on the bottom. Pretty good outcome I reckon

9. AquaticIcthyologist

AquaticIcthyologist Initiate Member

Its good to see that someone else has done it and had some success! One of my pregnant eastern mosquitofish looks like she is going to be due soon, but she is also ill, and may die before that. I may end up having to do this myself, so I will be following your progress with your baby guppies.

10. OP
    OP
    a

Oh no hope everything works out for you @AquaticIcthyologist! Hopefully she won't need to be cut open, but it's definitely possible to get some live babies out of a bad situation :)

Happy to report all 6 babies are still alive and kicking – they got their first feed yesterday and gobbled all the food up so things are looking up!