Guppy Parasites?

Churrolatte

One of my guppies are pooping white and a round thing at the end of the poop. I’ve also seen him swimming in place at the bottom of the tank. Is this a parasite and do I need to worry?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 103

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Sounds thin as well? I’m going to get some more eyes. It could very well be parasites. Or bacterial. AquaBaby Thunder_o_b BringKermitBack can I borrow your eyes please? At the very least I’d use API general cure. But let’s see what the peeps say.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore Legend
I am not very well versed with diseases (I have been blessed) but that looks like a prolapsed bowels.
Have you seen this fall off? Or does it seem to get shorter then longer again?

Gypsy13 It is very thin. A female.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
I am not very well versed with diseases (I have been blessed) but that looks like a prolapsed bowels.
Have you seen this fall off? Or does it seem to get shorter then longer again?

Gypsy13 It is very thin. A female.

Thank you bunches for looking.
OP see if you can get the API General Cure, Paraguard. I use general cure. But watch closely. If you see worms sticking out the vent, you’ll have to use something else.

OP
C

Churrolatte

Thank you bunches for looking.
OP see if you can get the API General Cure, Paraguard. I use general cure. But watch closely. If you see worms sticking out the vent, you’ll have to use something else.
Ok I’ll get some thank you guys!

AquaBaby

Well Known
Like Thunder said, it looks like a thin female. I can see this being a prolapse, but I'll describe it to you so you can decide.

Also, on the bottom side of the peduncle, the scales look like they might be slightly lifted.

Okay, I can't tell if what is coming out of the vent is one or two things. By the slight difference in color, I'm going with two.

The first looks to be the same color she is. It looks sort of like the tip of an eye dropper. Where it first come out of the vent, it is the same circumference. I could easily see this being the anus pushing outward.

The second part is almost the same color but slightly lighter. Like the light is able to penetrate through from the back side. The shape is like a very viscous liquid being dripped from a dropper - it is about the same circumference as the end of the first part, stays the same size until it gets to the end where it is a bit bulbous, like the end of the drip.

The length of the first part is roughly half the length of the eye. The 1st half of the second part, I'll call it the neck of the drip, is about the same length as the 1st part. The bulbous end of the second part is roughly the same length of the first part, too.

So, the second part is about twice as long as the first part.

And, the length of the 1st part, the neck of the second part and the bulbous end of the second part all equal about 3/4 the length of the analfin.

OP
C

Churrolatte

Like Thunder said, it looks like a thin female. I can see this being a prolapse, but I'll describe it to you so you can decide.

Also, on the bottom side of the peduncle, the scales look like they might be slightly lifted.

Okay, I can't tell if what is coming out of the vent is one or two things. By the slight difference in color, I'm going with two.

The first looks to be the same color she is. It looks sort of like the tip of an eye dropper. Where it first come out of the vent, it is the same circumference. I could easily see this being the anus pushing outward.

The second part is almost the same color but slightly lighter. Like the light is able to penetrate through from the back side. The shape is like a very viscous liquid being dripped from a dropper - it is about the same circumference as the end of the first part, stays the same size until it gets to the end where it is a bit bulbous, like the end of the drip.

The length of the first part is roughly half the length of the eye. The 1st half of the second part, I'll call it the neck of the drip, is about the same length as the 1st part. The bulbous end of the second part is roughly the same length of the first part, too.

So, the second part is about twice as long as the first part.

And, the length of the 1st part, the neck of the second part and the bulbous end of the second part all equal about 3/4 the length of the analfin.
I was going to check her out after I saw this, but when I checked on her it was gone. Is it still a prolapse?

AquaBaby

Well Known
Would you mind posting a new pic? That will help us tell.

OP
C

Churrolatte

Would you mind posting a new pic? That will help us tell.
Sure here it is.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 87

AquaBaby

Well Known
Thanks! I don't see any sign of a prolapse. But, I still see the lifted scales. See inside the circled areas?

20181013_220307.jpg

Instead of being a smooth outline, it looks kind of raggedy or spiky. The scales aren't laying down completely.

Look down on her from the top. Do you see the same thing on her sides? Or are her scales just this way on the bottom?

One other thing... did you ever see what was hanging from her wiggle or move? And did it actually fall off or get pulled back up inside?

OP
C

Churrolatte

Thanks! I don't see any sign of a prolapse. But, I still see the lifted scales. See inside the circled areas?

View attachment 490256

Instead of being a smooth outline, it looks kind of raggedy or spiky. The scales aren't laying down completely.

Look down on her from the top. Do you see the same thing on her sides? Or are her scales just this way in the bottom?

One other thing... did you ever see what was hanging from her wiggle or move? And did it actually fall off or get pulled back up inside?
The scales seem fine from the top and the white stuff just fell off. I don’t think it really wiggled it just kinda floated around for a few seconds.

AquaBaby

Well Known
Here is what I think. PLEASE wait until someone with more experience weighs in. I'm still learning.

Because she's thin and has a ragged appearance, I don't think she's getting the nutrients she should be. I'm going to assume what was hanging from her earlier was not a prolapse, but it definitely didn't look like normal poo. This makes me think internal parasite.

But, let me ask you....

I see you started your tank a few months ago, but how long have you had her? Do any other tank mates look thin or have had funny poo? Have you recently added any new fish (If yes, what and how long ago)? Anything else that you can think of youd like to add, please do!

I have to grab laundry real quick, but will be back on in about 10 minutes, so if you notice I go offline, I'll brb

OP
C

Churrolatte

Here is what I think. PLEASE wait until someone with more experience weighs in. I'm still learning.

Because she's thin and has a ragged appearance, I don't think she's getting the nutrients she should be. I'm going to assume what was hanging from her earlier was not a prolapse, but it definitely didn't look like normal poo. This makes me think internal parasite.

But, let me ask you....

I see you started your tank a few months ago, but how long have you had her? Do any other tank mates look thin or have had funny poo? Have you recently added any new fish (If yes, what and how long ago)? Anything else that you can think of your like to add, please do!

I have to grab laundry real quick, but will be back on in about 10 minutes, so if you notice I go offline, I'll brb
Well I’ve had 6 neon tetras and 2 male guppies at first. Then around 29 days ago (9/15) I got 4 female guppies and 1 Dalmatian molly. Well the dalmation molly seemed to have normal poop along with the tetras. I’ve spotted one of the males with white stuff but regular poop near the end.

AquaBaby

Well Known
So she's the only one that looks thin or has the "ragged" look?

If so, that's good.

PonzLL Gypsy's not on at the moment. What are your thoughts? Do you think it's internal parasite? Prazipro?

And, churrolatte, did you remove the "white stuff" that was floating from the aquarium? If not, and you can find it, remove it.

OP
C

Churrolatte

So she's the only one that looks thin or has the "ragged" look?

If so, that's good.

PonzLL Gypsy's not on at the moment. What are your thoughts? Do you think it's internal parasite? Prazipro?
Well she does seem like the skinniest guppy.

PonzLL

Well Known
I don’t know anything at all about parasites sorry

AquaBaby

Well Known
Okay. Thank you for taking a look!!

AquaBaby

Well Known
BringKermitBack do you mind taking a look, please?

OP
C

Churrolatte

The white stuff was just poop. There are many things that can cause it. What is their diet? Do you know the water parameters?
I feed them flakes and sometimes bloodworms. I currently don’t know the water parameters.

CandyCane701

Well Known
Most local fish stores will test your water for free if you bring some in. I would do that asap.

OP
C

Churrolatte

Most local fish stores will test your water for free if you bring some in. I would do that asap.
Ok but I’ll have to do it tomorrow morning because the stores are closed at the moment.

CandyCane701

Well Known
Ok but I’ll have to do it tomorrow morning because the stores are closed at the moment.
Keep us updated. Hopefully you can get an answer soon to what the problem is.

OP
C

Churrolatte

Keep us updated. Hopefully you can get an answer soon to what the problem is.
Yea, thanks for the help.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Hey. Could you post pictures of the other fish in this tank? It could be genetic, bacterial or parasitic. But she’s thin. The white poo could be different things as well. Maybe pics of the others will tell us if it was just her or not. If you think it’s just her, you might want to set up a qt for her. It’ll be easier to make sure she has the best chance possible.

OP
C

Churrolatte

Hey. Could you post pictures of the other fish in this tank? It could be genetic, bacterial or parasitic. But she’s thin. The white poo could be different things as well. Maybe pics of the others will tell us if it was just her or not. If you think it’s just her, you might want to set up a qt for her. It’ll be easier to make sure she has the best chance possible.
Yea I’ll get a picture of the other fish when I get home.

Whitewolf

Well Known
This is just how guppies get sometimes, it may be old, or it could be something else making it not want to eat.
Tried general cure? Garlic?
Sometimes with guppies you just gotta euthanize them....

OP
C

Churrolatte

This is just how guppies get sometimes, it may be old, or it could be something else making it not want to eat.
Tried general cure? Garlic?
Sometimes with guppies you just gotta euthanize them....
Well I just came home and he was dead. But now I am worried about the other fish, I’m starting to see white in their poop too.

AquaBaby

Well Known
I'm so sorry you lost her. As CandyCane mentioned, knowing water parameters will help. And like Gypsy mentioned, pics of your other babies would be so beneficial, too.

OP
C

Churrolatte

I'm so sorry you lost her. As CandyCane mentioned, knowing water parameters will help. And like Gypsy mentioned, pics of your other babies would be so beneficial, too.
Here are some of the other fish.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 81

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Ok. What are you feeding and how often? And I’d probably use general cure here. They all sound thin.

OP
C

Churrolatte

Ok. What are you feeding and how often? And I’d probably use general cure here. They all sound thin.
I usually feed them flakes 2 times a day and bloodworms every now and then.

Whitewolf

Well Known
Do they actually eat the food? Have you tried more veggies, or some tasty food like brine shrimp or mysis shrimp?

They do look thin, I'm no internal-disease speciality guy, they are hard to guess, but it may be internal worms, like capallarI and or camallanus. Stringy poop can mean worms, or parasites, while general cure kills parasites, it dosent kill worms.
You may need to try levimasole.

OP
C

Churrolatte

Do they actually eat the food? Have you tried more veggies, or some tasty food like brine shrimp or mysis shrimp?

They do look thin, I'm no internal-disease speciality guy, they are hard to guess, but it may be internal worms, like capallarI and or camallanus. Stringy poop can mean worms, or parasites, while general cure kills parasites, it dosent kill worms.
You may need to try levimasole.
They all gather at the top of the tank when I open the lid to feed them. I actually have never fed them veggies so what veggies could I give them? They are very active and if it were worms how did they get in I haven’t even added new fish in a while.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
If it was me, I’d try using general cure and feeding a bit more. Watch closely to see if you notice any worms hanging out their vents. And if your flakes aren’t a premium grade flake, you might want to give them vitamins. My two cents.

OP
C

Churrolatte

If it was me, I’d try using general cure and feeding a bit more. Watch closely to see if you notice any worms hanging out their vents. And if your flakes aren’t a premium grade flake, you might want to give them vitamins. My two cents.
Ok but what vitamins do I use. And thanks for all the help from all of you!

Whitewolf

Well Known
You can get algae based frozen food that contains mysis shrimp and lots of vitamins, spirulina, ect…..at petsmart/petco frozen section. Mix in a little garlic powder..... that is also for picky eaters, and mix in a little general cure into that food, save the leftover in the fridge.

OP
C

Churrolatte

You can get algae based frozen food that contains mysis shrimp and lots of vitamins, spirulina, ect…..at petsmart/petco frozen section. Mix in a little garlic powder..... that is also for picky eaters, and mix in a little general cure into that food, save the leftover in the fridge.
Ok I’ll pick some up soon.

Whitewolf

Well Known
You can order general cure flake online as well, but they may not eat it as it dose'nt taste great. Some flake/pellet meds they will eat all day like antibiotics, some they just don't like.....

OP
C

Churrolatte

You can order general cure flake online as well, but they may not eat it as it dose'nt taste great. Some flake/pellet meds they will eat all day like antibiotics, some they just don't like.....
The stores I’ve gone to didn’t have any general cure. Is there another way?

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
The stores I’ve gone to didn’t have any general cure. Is there another way?

See if your stores carry metroplex (metronidazole) and praziquantel. These are the ingredients in general cure.

CandyCane701

Well Known
Sorry if I missed it, but did you ever find out the water parameters?

OP
C

Churrolatte

See if your stores carry metroplex (metronidazole) and praziquantel. These are the ingredients in general cure.
Ok I will check

OP
C

Churrolatte

Sorry if I missed it, but did you ever find out the water parameters?
I got my water tested at petco and they said it was fine.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
paulcy82

Did You Know...

Cycling a tank with fish already in it because you were unaware of the nitrogen cycle? Well lucky for you, mattgirl has a great thread on what to do:
Fish In Nitrogen Cycle Simplified

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom