Guppy (parasites/worms)

Jessila

New Member
Messages
6
Reaction score
1
Points
3
Hi,

For the past few weeks I’ve been losing my guppies.
It’s 28 gallon, there was 18 guppies now there’s only 7 left. Water parameters are fine.

It seems that they have some kind of parasites. I’ve tried soaking their foods in garlic juice and used General Cure for 2 weeks nothing seems to work. Please if you have any suggestions let me know.
Or I’m thinking to euthanase the one that are left. ☹
 

Attachments

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,005
Reaction score
2,506
Points
308
Experience
2 years
Jessila said:
Hi,

For the past few weeks I’ve been losing my guppies.
It’s 28 gallon, there was 18 guppies now there’s only 7 left. Water parameters are fine.

It seems that they have some kind of parasites. I’ve tried soaking their foods in garlic juice and used General Cure for 2 weeks nothing seems to work. Please if you have any suggestions let me know.
Or I’m thinking to euthanase the one that are left. ☹
When you say the parameters are fine, what are they exactly? Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate?
Your tank is overstocked. 18 guppies would create a ton of waste in such a small tank. I wouldn’t recommend treating them without knowing what they have. If it was a parasite then their stomach would be sunken in and you would have to medicate through the food.
How often do you change the water?
Was the tank cycled?
How was it cycled?
Did you add them all together or a few a week?
 

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Messages
1,331
Reaction score
549
Points
148
Experience
More than 10 years
I guessing you are dealing with a parasite, they do look pretty emaciated (the bellys should be round) , however i wouldn't euthanize yet. API general cure in my opinion is trash and never works. Look into a marcyrn brand medication. this is a bit more expensive but very effective. Keep up with the garlic juice to get them to eat. And by no means is 18 guppies too many for a 28 gallon
 

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,005
Reaction score
2,506
Points
308
Experience
2 years
DutchAquarium said:
And by no means is 18 guppies too many for a 28 gallon
It is too many. They might be small but they create a ton of waste. Which having a bunch of them will cause pressure on the bioload. You also have to account for the females that will have fry every month. Batches of 10-40 fry.
 

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Messages
1,331
Reaction score
549
Points
148
Experience
More than 10 years
bryangar said:
It is too many. They might be small but they create a ton of waste. Which having a bunch of them will cause pressure on the bioload. You also have to account for the females that will have fry every month. Batches of 10-40 fry.
the bioload is also effected by what filters are used and how many water changes you plan on doing. therefore you could even up the guppy number. As long as you keep parameters where they need to be which sounds like this hobbyist is doing they are fine. Most low quality guppies also produce fry with bent spines. Therefore it's very normal to need to euthanize quite a few and you could always sell the rest if needed.
 

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,005
Reaction score
2,506
Points
308
Experience
2 years
DutchAquarium said:
the bioload is also effected by what filters are used and how many water changes you plan on doing. therefore you could even up the guppy number. As long as you keep parameters where they need to be which sounds like this hobbyist is doing they are fine. Most low quality guppies also produce fry with bent spines. Therefore it's very normal to need to euthanize quite a few and you could always sell the rest if needed.
Although that is true. Most people just joining the hobby hate doing water changes and most of the time use the filter provided in kits, which don’t really provide enough area for the BB.

When the OP stated they had a 28 gal. I placed the information into Aqadvisor. I assumed they had 28 bowfront which is the only option for a 28 on the site. It says Stocking level 108%. I didn’t include any filtration as it was not provided.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom