Guppy Paralysis? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by chickenghost, Apr 24, 2018.

1. chickenghostValued MemberMember

My school has recently acquired a fish tank for our science unit on ecosystems. Unfortunately, as the school fish expert in residence, I was down with a headache when it was set up, and I'm very certain it was done incorrectly.

It appears to be about 15 gallons in size, but is only 2/3 full, and is stocked with 6 guppies at the moment. At start there were 10, but 4 have died, one female and three males, one of whom was smashed to death somehow. There are also 9 snails, who's identity is uncertain. My teacher believes them to be Tiger snails. None of them were quarantined.

The tank was not cycled, although it has a filter inside, which is helping somewhat. The chlorine was apparently filtered out of the water with this thing called "Start right" By Jungle, with Aloe Vera in it. This isn't my area of expertise, so opinions on this will help.

There is no heater, and the temperature is slowly dropping. It decreased by ten degrees overnight, and is about 73 degrees Fahrenheit, 23 degrees Celsius.

Additionally, one of the guppies has recently started swimming slanted upwards, and isn't using her tail. Some of my classmates believe her to be paralyzed.
    3VdbYlrLEJcnLVyxtMRewg3us1znFmKKL_mlbHL6k5i3gJNmSEh6tqcMbuxzPbxdHK1je4pgqK_CM_i-UTbUqSVzyQbEgEHQ.jpg
    Sorry for the poor image quality. I did my best. But you can see one of the females is hunched over somewhat. She's in the center of the group.

I've tried my best to diagnose the problems, but I need help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. chickenghostValued MemberMember

Update: My friend has managed to raise the temperature up to 80 degrees Fahrenheit, 27 degrees Celsius.

3. WhitewolfWell Known MemberMember

4. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

How does one know if it’s fish TB vs. a genetic problem that happens with most guppies?

Typically TB shows signs of ulcers, loss of scales , wounds and blisters. With the current information from the OP all we know is that it has a curved spine.

5. WhitewolfWell Known MemberMember

If it wasnt born with a cuved spine, it probably isnt genetic.
    It looks emancipated, and pale, loss of color
    Fish TB can show diffrent symptoms depending on what organs are affected mostly. To me it looks sick and im willing to bet TB is the underlying cause.
    Last thing he needs is for it to die in the tank, and the other fish nibble on it and they all get sick.

6. chickenghostValued MemberMember

Okay, she is dead. The entire population is dead, R.I.P. This actually happened a while ago, but now the tank is cycled, and there are a few more guppies present, as the tank is now properly cycled and heated. Thanks for the help, guys!

7. chickenghostValued MemberMember

Alright, new question.

One of my friends has diagnosed two of the females as pregnant and placed them in a breeding tank. It was a mistake. One female killed the other, and we're calling into question whether or not she is actually pregnant. I1pQWGFUR6Djrz3fTp_S1dXnIimGkI9Ui2LVCT53PeNly4qUwrDoCr3MMeCdZjz4U3yhFGqn7LhWEPtdRtu_XQrgBDELPc8g.jpg
    She's in the lower side of the center. Can you tell if she's pregnant from here?
    We are moving her back into the main tank, but we're putting her in a breeding box, just in case she ends up being pregnant. Please respond if you know.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice