Guppy newborn fries prefer near surface or bottom?

newbietetra

Hi,

A youtuber uses plastic grass carpet turned upside-down, as floating refuge for guppy fries. He said fries can hide in it from the parents. He doesnot use any plants on the bottom.

Do newborn guppy fries prefer to be near the surface than on the bottom?

THANKS!

MacZ

Fry of any kind prefer to be where cover is. Placement in the tank is irrelevant.

Coradee

Youtubers say a lot of things :D
In my experience fry will hide anywhere that’s available to them. I’d suggest just having lots of plants, floaters & others as well as driftwood they can get into the crevices. Fry congregating only at the surface I feel would be easy targets for the adults as they’re always up there looking for food, especially if they see you anywhere near the tank.
I personally wouldn’t worry too much about saving all the fry as you’ll very quickly be overrun with them, guppies aren’t called ‘million fish’ for nothing!

Edit: MacZ said it much more succinctly than I did :)

connorlindeman

You should have lots of plants in the tank. Otherwise the fish feel unsafe and its torture to them

emeraldking

Do newborn guppy fries prefer to be near the surface than on the bottom?
Guppy fry when born tend to go to the bottom first. After that they'll try to swim to the surface to get some oxygen. Then they'll go to the bottom again. When the day progresses, those fry will go to the surface again and stay there.

Blk69

In my experience, if they are in a grow tank with no other fish, they swim everywhere. In a community tank, they are typically at the bottom.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Kevinthebreeder
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
emeraldking
  • Question
  • BlueAndBlack
  • Guppy
Replies
Views