Guppy & Molly Cross Mating?

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Mudworm, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Mudworm

MudwormNew MemberMember

Hello all, hope I did this correctly.

My male guppies chase my female mollies quite a bit (in fact they seem to ignore the female guppies in preference to mollies) Will they crossbreed? I suspect no but after seeing this behavior consistently I am starting to wonder.

2. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

It is possible. Platies and swordtails can crossbreed and guppies and mollies can crossbreed. It is much less likely if you have some female guppies, it's more likely if you only have male guppies and female mollies or only male mollies and female guppies

3. OP
    OP
    Mudworm

MudwormNew MemberMember

Cool, hope it happens could be interesting looking. I suspect one of the mollies is pregnant again, wonder if that influences the guppies to chase her? However they do chase both females they favor the one that looks pregnant. Never thought I would be paying so much attention to fish courtship LOL.

4. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Males mostly chase females when they are heavily pregnant. Males also prefer larger females so that could be part of it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice