Help guppy might be dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

red020804

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
i have a male blonde guppy that we've had since before christmas last year. around Jan. 2010 he got really sick. hanging at the bottom barely moving and didnt hardly eat. then we did a huge water change and he perked up and started moving better and eating again. Then he got a huge belly. I'm talking if he was female he'd be ready to drop some fry. it was suggested he might be constipated so for the last month once a week i feed all my fish a half a pea. and they all love it. The yellow guppy's belly shrank a little bit but he is still huge. tonight he wasnt moving at the bottom of tank so i put the net in there and i literally had to nudge him with it to get him to move. he took off like crazy tons of energy, but when he figured he was safe from me he went back down and not easy. i mean he took a nose dive straight down and didnt move and i swear i felt the impact from just watching him hit bottom. so i went after him again with the net and same thing happened. anyway he's in the breeding box we have so if something is seriously wrong with him he's protected from the other fish. he has barely moved since i put him in there. he's breathing fast and has been doing that for a couple weeks. my current readings are up to date. he is in the 20 gal. any ideas or suggestions would be helpful. o and because i've been asked before there is no ammonia in our tap and i do water changes every other day to try to help with the ammonia with no luck.

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'll bet the ammonia isn't helping him if he's sick. Could you pick up some Prime? It will detox ammonia and nitrite for 24 hours. I would also up the changes to be daily. What are your nitrite readings?

Also that is a lot of male guppies for a 20 G. Is it possible one of the others is picking on him? Have you ever seen any aggression?

OP
red020804

red020804

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
i do use prime with every water change and i put the prime in on the days i dont change the water because of the ammonia. my nitrites are 0 and nitrates range from 5 to 15.
no all the fish get along with each other. the only fish that show any aggressive behavior and its only slightly is the two black phantom tetras toward each other. they dont bother the other fish. in fact when the guppies or the mollies go near them they move away from them. the tetras only flare at each other. the guppy is moving a lot more this morning. should i let him out? he's not going crazy in there or anything just kinda swims a little in there which is more than he was doing last night.

edit: okay i let him out and so far he seems okay. lol i tilted the box so he could just swim out and i didnt have to put him through catching him with a net, not only did he not swim out but 6 of the other fish (3 mollies and 3 guppies) decided they wanted in the box too. i had to lift and shake the box to get all the fish out. lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom