Guppy Male Tail

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Brandye, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Brandye

Brandye Valued Member Member

i have a male guppy that I have had sense I started my aquarium which was 4 or 5 months ago. Well woke up today and his tail looks like something clawed it. Don't own any cats and while I have fish that might nip fins I haven't seen any doing so to others. What could have happened? Changed the water a few days ago and I don't have any new plants. Could it be old age? Is my best buddy getting fragile? I have him in a seperator with some female so he doesnt freak out.

2. OP
    OP
    Brandye

Here is a picture of him

Attached Files:

3. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

Do you have any plastic plants? If you have fish that are known for nipping fins chances are one of them snapped at him overnight.

4. OP
    OP
    Brandye

Yes I do have some plastic plants but they are all at the bottom and he mainly stays at the top playing in the plants I have floating up there. And it looks like spreads would a fish nip look like that?

5. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

Is the bottom half of his tail normally grey like that? If not it's probably a bacterial infection. Look up pictures of columnaris, does it look anything like that?

6. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Doesn't look like columnaris, tail isn't usually affected. Is he swimming that way just due to the breeder box or was he like that before you put him in? He does seem a bit thin...
    Keep an eye out for any white or red on his tail (signs of infection). Beyond that if it was just an injury lots of fresh clean water will help him heal. I would up your water changes to every three days or so...
    Also if he is acting normally and only has the fin damage the box is probably adding to the stress... I would let him swim.
    Guppies are normally top swimmers, but they do tend to rest on plants/substrate during lights out (first time I saw a tank doing this I had a heart attack until I realized they were just "sleeping"

7. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

I think, rather, columnaris is very distinctive when the tail is affective.
    There are 2 major symptoms, and usually not seen together. One is a fungus like cotton (it's actually bacteria, not fungus) and the other appears as grey, rotting flesh (sorry, poor description, but pictures can be seen below).

Courtesy of Google, pictures of advances stages of columnaris:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice