Guppy Lost Caudal Fin

1. D

DJsFishing New Member Member

I need help. My Guppy has lost his caudal fin. How could that have happened? What do I do now? He seems to be swimming fine, will he be ok? He was the first fish I got and I’m heartbroken for him.
    He’s in a 36 gallon bow front with an AquaClear 70. Tankmates are a Molly, a Dwarf Gourami, a pair of Killifish, and 10 Ember Tetra. I haven’t had any problems with aggression, all of the fish seem happy.
    Hardness: 8
    Ammonia: 1
    Nitrite: .5
    Nitrate: 10
    I do have an established bio filter. I lost an Ember Tetra 2 days ago that got sucked against the filter intake. I’m gone 12+ hours a day and I’m not sure how long it was on there before I got home. It caused my ammonia levels to spike. I tested just after I pulled it out and did a 50% water change and the ammonia was at 2, so it is dropping.
    I added a chunk of filter sponge to the intake to protect the rest of my fish. It doesn’t quite cover the whole thing so maybe his fin got too close to that?
    I’ll add pics of my Guppy as well as the sponge on my filter intake. I have a black sand substrate, that’s why the sponge has that color to it.
    Thanks for any advice you’re able to give!
    DJ

Attached Files:

2. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

His tail will heal up just fine so long as infection is prevented. I wouldn’t put it past the gourami to be the culprit. They can be mean and just cause you don’t wittness any aggression doesn’t mean it isn’t there.

Keep monitoring the ammonia and nitrites. Don’t let them get too high or it will effect the fish.

3. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

Really? My dwarf gourami has never tried to attack my guppys! Weird, He only gets a little aggressive during feeding and to the other gourami. He minds the smaller fish and could care less when they pass through his territory. Yes clean water will stop infection and heal the fins faster.