Guppy labour and fry

Gnomie

Hi guys

So my tank is still cycling, I've had a few guppies in for nearly a month now, but still doing daily water changes with some Ammonia and nitrate spikes.

Two guppies already gave birth soon after buying them. A third looked like it was going into labour the other day, so I went to get a breeder box as it seemed distressed (not like the other two times). When I came back it was sadly already dead. I tried to squeeze it's swollen belly but no babies came out

Another one is ready to give birth and I've put her in the breeder box she's been calm all day just chilling there, but now it's night time and she's suddenly acting frantic I'm worried if I take her out she might die like the other one did? But she might abort if stressed too so I don't know!

LeafY4life77

TAKE HER OUT! if not she will most likely die. i personally hate using breeder box's, i would immediately take her out. let her give fry in your tank and scoop em in the morning. you have guppies they breed a lot. Trust me you will have fry b patient.

Upvote 0

Gnomie

TAKE HER OUT! if not she will most likely die. i personally hate using breeder box's, i would immediately take her out. let her give fry in your tank and scoop em in the morning. you have guppies they breed a lot. Trust me you will have fry b patient.
Thank you, I have taken her out. I was just worried she would meet the fate of her friend the other day it seemed the other one was exhausted and trying to hide and then just died. But maybe it was more to do with poorer water quality as the tank is still cycling

Upvote 0

SanDiegoRedneck

Hi guys

So my tank is still cycling, I've had a few guppies in for nearly a month now, but still doing daily water changes with some Ammonia and nitrate spikes.

Two guppies already gave birth soon after buying them. A third looked like it was going into labour the other day, so I went to get a breeder box as it seemed distressed (not like the other two times). When I came back it was sadly already dead. I tried to squeeze it's swollen belly but no babies came out

Another one is ready to give birth and I've put her in the breeder box she's been calm all day just chilling there, but now it's night time and she's suddenly acting frantic I'm worried if I take her out she might die like the other one did? But she might abort if stressed too so I don't know!
I personally do not use any breeder boxes when breeding guppies. I have heavily planted tanks and most if not all fry usually make it. Some strains are more prone to eat the fry others will never eat babies. Unless you are %100 sure when she got pregnant and how far along she is I would not use breeder box.

Does your tank have lots of hiding spots?

Females get pretty dominate and can pick at others fins. Guppies have a pecking order for sure

If you do use breeder box maybe put plants inside for less stress.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Uthmaan
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
Coradee
  • Question
  • Roman96
  • Guppy
Replies