Guppy jumped out of tank with lid

1. lfabb Member Member

This is my first aquarium. I have a 5 gal tank with a heater, filter, air stone, plants, gravel and decorations (for hiding). I bought 4 guppies and placed them in the tank Saturday. Went to work this morning and had all 4. Came home and found one on the floor dead (the smallest one). I have a lid so in order for him to have escaped he would've had to leap perfectly in the small space between the lid and side less than 1/4".

I cycled the tank prior to stocking the fish. Reading the water every day and get a steady reading of 0.25ppm ammonia, 0 nitrite and 5-10 nitrate. I know guppies jump but the other guppies are much more active than the one who committed suicide. So my question is why did the guppy leap to his death? All 4 guppies were male, no females. Thanks!

2. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

It could've been picked on. 4 guppies is pretty over stocked for a little 5 gal. I would try to go for a 10 then you could get another guppy. They would like the bigger tank. How do you have .25 ppm of ammonia? Is it in your tap? If it is then you need to dose every water change with Seachem Prime or another product that gets ride of ammonia so it can be mechanically filtered

3. lfabb Member Member

How many guppies would be comfortable in a 10 gal? I went with a 5 gal because I'm pretty OCD and was afraid 10 gal would be a lot more work. I say 0.25 of ammonia however it could be 0? I'm using the API liquid test and honestly cannot tell if it's yellow or yellow-green. That being said I did a 30% water change before getting the fish and dosed with prime.

If I were to get a 10 gal, if I used the same substrate and filter media could I safely cycle with the 3 guppies I currently have monitoring the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Doing pwc and dosing with prime? Or will I kill them trying to start up a new tank?

4. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

(Sorry for the late response) I would say for a 10 gallon a max of 4 or 5 guppies with a good filter. Anything more would be a little crowded. Bigger is better so if you go with a 20 or 30 gal then you could get at least 8-10 guppies. You have a much wider selection of fish the bigger the tank is. I have a 50 gal and it doesnt require nearly as much maintenance as a small 10 I had before. The bigger the tank the better the water stability is.

Lol same about the testing liquid. I would think its 0 ppm. What kind of filter do you have? It can kill them if they are being cycled with the tank. I would say keep ur 5 gal up and running till you know for sure the new tank is fully cycled.