Guppy Issue

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by FishL:)), Apr 8, 2017.

1. FishL:))

FishL:)) Well Known Member Member

Hey!
    So I've been breeding Guppy for about 5-6 years and I've somehow escaped any sicknesses in my aquariums.
    I recently bought a new guppy.

My question:
    Her belly is VERY sunken, it's like a Straight line from her head to back tail fin. Also, she started hitting herself on tank decor.

Water parameters are all in safe zone.
    Checked them today.

What do you guys think it could be??
    Any treatment?
    Thank you!

P.S. I'm going to my LFS today so if you recommend a product I'll be able to buy it today. :)

2. OP
    OP
    FishL:))

Hey!

I have a guppy that is having some problems. I am the worst at diagnosing problems with my fish.

Guppy:
    She is VERY skinny. Her stomach is sunken. It's a straight line for her head to back tail fin. Also, today she started hitting herself on my tank decor.

Anyone ever had this? Or know of a treatment?

3. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

Could be fish tb or else some sort of internal parasite. You could try some Prazi Pro if you have some, it might help, but a warning, usually when they get to that point they don't last too long :(

4. OP
    OP

Oh really?! I ordered general cure, heard of it? I'm going to try everything I can. :)

5. APierce

I've heard of it. I've got enough antibiotics for fish here, that I'd survive a zombie Apocalypse lol. Good luck :)

6. OP
    OP

Have you tried it? Would you recommend Fluke Tabs?

7. APierce

I've never tried general cure, I have all these medicated fish flakes that I use for things when they come up, I use prazi pro and para guard as well, I've never heard of or tried fluke tabs.

8. OP
    OP

Maybe I made that up...thought I heard of it somewhere. :) She's still nibbling on algae and food from the bottom, so I'm hoping she'll make it in time for the meds to get here!!

9. APierce

Sometimes they can bounce back, hopefully it will be that way for yours!

10. OP
    OP

Yes, I'm hoping!! Anymore tips you've done that's helped yours make it?

11. APierce

I had one platty that was skinny like that for quite some time, I did the prazi pro, and para guard for a few treatments each, didn't work. I fed him some kanamycin flakes for about 10 days and he was swimming around better and didn't look "as skinny", but he did still look skinny compared to everyone else, eventually he ended up dying :(

12. OP
    OP

Oh no! I'm so sorry!! Do you maybe know why none of my other fish aren't having problems?

13. APierce

I'd need a book, but I'll try to shorten it :)
    Breeding, stress, water conditions, and food all play a part in it.
    If your other fish came from the same place, they may have been less stressed out somehow, could have had better access to food, that particular one might have been culled if it was a person breeding for specific genes, etc. If the water conditions are not so good, the less stressed, better fed fish are going to do better than the fish that are more stressed and don't have the "better genes".

14. OP
    OP

Ah, makes sense. :) Thank you!!! You have been very helpful!! I'll do an update later this week to let you know how she's doing.

15. APierce

Your welcome, hopefully she gets better.

16. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Assuming she is in quarantine? Possible she had just given birth, otherwise I would do maybe API general cure or prazipro.
    Is she eating normally? Also, is she bumping into decor of flashing against it? Can you post a picture?
    Also, under freshwater fish there is a livebearer section, even one specifically for guppies, you may get more answers there then here :)

17. OP
    OP

I actually don't have any quarantine tank available right now...I ordered General Cure, it's coming in the mail. She's eating, but not her normal appetite. She is hitting herself on decor in my tank, just noticed that today.
    I'll take a picture in the morning when it's light. :) Thanks for your help! I'll try and even take a video!

18. OP
    OP

19. OP
    OP

Here are the pictures guys! Sorry about the little bit of blurriness, very hard to take pictures of fish. :)

20. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Hope the general cute helps some, looks like she may have been suffering from some type of parasitic issue. Word of caution with the general cure, it may crash your cycle (starting with prazipro may be better as it won't hurt your bacteria).
    Guppies, while generally hardy fish, tend to come with a number of issues. Right now petco is having their dollar per gallon sale, maybe you can pick up a ten gallon to use while treating and for future quarantine?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice