Guppy Is Vertical? Please Help!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Ale1211, Apr 9, 2017.

1. A

Ale1211 New Member Member

Hello everyone, we've had my tank for almost 5 months. We recently had a huge algae and diatom bloom. I decided to do a 100% waterrible change since the pebbles were brown (originally rainbow colored). I allowed the tank to run without our fish for a while and then safely transferred them (I used to do this with my dad when I was younger and all of our fish were fine). For some reason our guppy started acting weird and is swimming almost vertically. He eventually drifts and stays vertical for a bit. I checked the water parameters and they are as follows:

pH: 6.4
    Amonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 0

I ran the test twice ( I have the API Master Test Kit) and still got the same numbers. We are extremely worried about our guppy. We've considered adding baking soda to help the pH but are scared to do so. We think that it might be a pH shock? Or maybe constipation? Swim bladder? Not too sure and multiple forums have given us mixed information.

We really appreciate your help and advice.

~Worried fish parents.

2. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

Did you use some sort of water conditioner to treat the water for chlorine?
    Also how long did these filters run without fish? If a long time without any food source (ammonia) your bacteria could have died off, meaning your tank is not cycled.

I also want to ask if you shook the BEJESUS out of your NitrAte #2 bottle, including beating it on a table, etc? I am surprised to see you at 0 Nitrate and your test will show a false 0 if you do not get that #2 bottle properly mixed up before testing.

3. OP
    OP
    A

Th

Thank you for your response. I shook the crap out of that #2 bottle, to avoid the false 0. I used seachem prime and didn't used tap water. We bought purified drinking water since it's gone through the reverse osmosis process. We only do this since water in Virginia is very hard. The filters ran alone for like an hour or two, not too long of a while. I feel terrible now. All I wanted was for my fish to have a perfectly clean home and now I feel like I severely messed up.

4. OP
    OP
    A

I should also mention that my other fish (a platty) is doing perfectly ok with the water change.

5. Bizarro252

A few hours are not going to hurt your filters :) I was hoping you didnt mean weeks :) And since you used bottled water and know to shake the outta that bottle I no longer have trouble believing that zero reading :)

Not sure what could have happened...was there maybe a temperature shock? Sounds like you were doing all the right things.

6. OP
    OP
    A

I'm just as confused, I'm glad I haven't done anything wrong. I checked the temperature before moving them and made sure it was close. The temperature has been normal for a day already, I'm not sure if it would be the temperature. Do you know if the pH has anything to do with it? My fiance and I decided to not feed him tomorrow and see if it's just constipation. It's just worrying us since he's always swimming so fast around the tank. We've never seen him like this.

7. Bizarro252

What makes you suspect the PH, were you using tap before and swapped to this other water along with these other changes? If so that could be it, that is likley at least a 1 point change since you mentioned your tap is very hard. And the PH scale is logarithmic, meaning (if you dont know :)) for example, that from a 6 to a 7 is 10x less acidic.

If that is the case I would try a 30% or so water change with whatever your original source was to start moving it back in that direction. It really depends on what you plan to stick with long term, you dont want to be moving the pH around all the time. So try to slowly move it to match the water you will use long term.

8. OP
    OP
    A

I've been using bottled water for a while now. The only major change was the 100% water change. I did a 10% water change today, and check again tomorrow. This is my first time having trouble with pH. I'm a bio major and grew up with an agronomist dad, so pH is not a new thing for me. That's why I thought of the baking soda, I just wasn't sure if it would harm my fish since he looks to be in such a delicate condition.

I do appreciate your help though, it's calmed me down a bit more.

9. Bizarro252

:D good

I am still confused why you think your PH may be an issue though, even with 100% water change you stuck with the same type of water so it should match unless you were buffered somehow in your tank before.

Baking soda can be used, however its a pretty standard rule of thumb its better to keep it steady rather than chase a number.

10. OP
    OP
    A

Sorry for not responding before. We did a treatment for 5 days with all in one remedy tablets and herbal treatment for parasites as well as to reduce stress. My guppy went back to being his old self after 6 days. He's still doing great! Thank you for your help!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice