Guppy is it female or male?

Western

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi guys having a dilemma at the moment I dont know whether a female has been mixed up in my all male guppy tank...they all keep chasing just the one poor guppies and its panting like crazy...I've kept guppies for years but never come across this!

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you can post some pics of the guppy in question, we can probably determine if it's a male or female. :)

Western

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
In the middle of trying to get a decent shot...thanksyou

Here is one the rest is blurred as they are chasing him her constantly.

For some reason it wont accept the video.

It seems bigger and broader than the others you see worried I've been sold a female from a male tank poor thing is constantly panting and gasping compared to the others.

I thought maybe it was a female giving birth and the guys are trying to eat fry as she let's them out but I've never had to identify a female guppy before.

Western

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They just keep trying to nip at its underneath and its gills seem open?

I think that's a female
If it is I really dont know what to do I bought them a few weeks ago...shes all on her own if she is!!I have a tank currently cycling for a betta fish I feel awful for her if it is

It is alot bigger than the others

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's hard to say from the pictures because you can't get a good look at the analfin, but to me the body shape and pattern looks much more like a male than a female.

It's not uncommon for males to gang up on a particular male, probably because it's a weaker fish.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I think the same is also true with a female, no? One female will probably get harassed by several other males

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like a male to me. But yes, as already ben mentioned overhere before: males can chase other males as well.

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I know it's hard to do - but if you are able to get a clear shot of the fins underneath (from the side), that will pretty much decide it. They're too quick sometimes :)

Western

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The issue is that all the other males are going for that one!its a bit irregular for every male to torment just one isn't it?
I woke up this morning and they are still going for him/her in droves?

Il keep trying.

It's hard to say from the pictures because you can't get a good look at the analfin, but to me the body shape and pattern looks much more like a male than a female.

It's not uncommon for males to gang up on a particular male, probably because it's a weaker fish.
This may be the case I know it sounds bad ..but I would like to think this is the case compared to the alternative of one female in an all male tank!

JamieLu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes, that a male. I had to rehome 2 of my guppies cuz they were constantly being chased by other males. How big is the tank?

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sounds like at this point it really doesn't matter much if it's male or female. It will need to be separated from the others. Either rehomed or returned. With the continuous chasing, it will succumb to the stress. :(

Western

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes, that a male. I had to rehome 2 of my guppies cuz they were constantly being chased by other males. How big is the tank?
It's a 40 litre and its ovev stocked by 4 fish!had know choice

I have a cycling tank I dont know what's best put it in though ammonia level is higher than the tank hes in....

I
Sounds like at this point it really doesn't matter much if it's male or female. It will need to be separated from the others. Either rehomed or returned. With the continuous chasing, it will succumb to the stress. :(
Feel his stress I'm may succumb before him at this rate

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Do you have a breeder box to separate him in the main tank for the moment? That would be a quick temporary solution until you can figure out where he's going to go. Another possible option would be to put a divider in the tank so he has his own area (one that allows the water to flow thru freely.)
I wouldn't put him in an uncycled tank at this point - those unfavourable conditions, along with his already high stress level, will do him more harm than good.

Western

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Do you have a breeder box to separate him in the main tank for the moment? That would be a quick temporary solution until you can figure out where he's going to go. Another possible option would be to put a divider in the tank so he has his own area (one that allows the water to flow thru freely.)
I wouldn't put him in an uncycled tank at this point - those unfavourable conditions, along with his already high stress level, will do him more harm than good.
I thought that myself...the uncycled tank idea but I may be in town tomorrow while working so could look for a divider I hadn't thought of that thanks‍♂

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's a good idea to use a divider when you don't have a spare tank. And yes, as already been mentioned, it's definitely a male.

Western

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks mate I just wish I had one now!!i hope the big guy can wait long enough..pulling my hair out..

JamieLu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks mate I just wish I had one now!!i hope the big guy can wait long enough..pulling my hair out..
Do u have a food safe container the u can make a temporary holding box for him? Or even a big plastic cup with holes poked thro so he gets fresh water and float it in the tank or wedge it so its in the tank but he cant get out? Sorry if that doesnt make sense, but it would b til u could get a divider.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom