Guppy In Need Of Knowledgeable Help!! Please Don't Let Her Die When It Can Be Prevented

1. Nyla Member Member

I have a question about my guppy. She was purchased a few months ago and was fine. I put her in my 20 gallon high cycled tank with 7 other glofish (tetras). In the recent week or two I've noticed she's not active, laying on the bottom of the tank. She perks up a tiny bit for food but she didn't and still won't come to the surface to get it. Her food was tetra food, and she had some diotoms to munch on. (I know the diotoms aren't a nutritional food, but it was just extra). Was feeding the tank 6 days a week with Sunday's off. About 40-50% water changes every 10 days-two weeks. I was bad one month and forgot to clean so I had to do a large water change. Now I do about 25-30 once a week.
    Anyways I took her out of the main tank and set her up in a mini tank w a heater and filter. I put some parts from my main tanks filter in to get it cycled plus seachem's prime. She seemed to be perking up and much more lively after a few days, I also gave her hikari micro pellets. So after a bit I decided she could rejoin her old tank, but things got bad again. So finally after doing water changes and trying to or hikari food for her, I put her back in the mini tank. I ripped off a piece of mesh/foam from one filter into new one as well as some plastic part which I think held a sponge in it once, and put it in the small tank and let the filter run. I had to shut it off though because it seems to be very strong and makes her kinda shakey. She had a heater and I try to keep t at 76-80*. Around the same temp she had in her 20 gallon tank (78+/-2)Which I know fluctuates but I don't have any other heater besides this one which isn't preset. I give her only the micro pellets and at times after she eats she seems to be doing much better and I think I caught her swimming up in the tank and flailing around a bit. However I'm not sure what to do going forward. Here are a few pics of Ivanka when she's down at the bottom. Can anyone give suggestions?

Also I've noticed one very thin and short clear hair looking thing coming out of her but her poop has been food color. I do have some old prazi I could throw in there?

bcd0a72f2aa708259cc104f390180cee.jpg 9a9d484a695ed063bdf4e8a42ee2ba7a.jpg 1263872a7e780ef6046f5ff0ffb03f5d.jpg 2e43560b67784439b2a5d96a9e7d67b8.jpg
  2. ark_fish Member Member

The only thing I can think of is the ammonia or nitrite levels could be too high so test for both. It could also be that she is getting bullied by the other fish. Possibly, if all water parameters are correct try adding another female guppy into her tank.
    Good luck with your guppy.):

3. MattS99 Well Known Member Member

That's a male guppy for sure. Not a female. And please don't add anymore fish until we figure out what's wrong with him.
  4. ark_fish Member Member

sorry, let me rephrase. Remove guppy and place in a quarantine tank-------> check water perimeters------->figure out if it is a disease or issue with water quality -------> treat accordingly -------> then, if the guppy is acting better, add another guppy because I always feel bad for lone guppies.

And I think your right about the guppy being a male, I missed the shape of the anal fin, my bad!

5. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Your guppy is definitely a male. I agree with the above adding other fish until you figure out what is going on with this one.
  6. Fish4Ever Member Member

As sombody who had most of there experience towards live bearers heres my advice.
    I have a platty who stays at the bottom and hides in one of my rock caves (he really likes one and becides the shrimp he wont let anyone in there when he is.) He comes up for food and will actually push the other fish around but will then go back to his cave. Try putting some sort of cave or enclosed space decoration it will help with bullying and it will let him think that he has his own space.
    I would also test water levels again and try to raise/lower the temp to keep it at (as stable as you can get it) 80.
    If you have the space for fry try adding two females he will probably chase them around and you may end up with fry! (Most definitely.)

EDIT: I went to feed him this morning after replying and he wont leave his rock, its not a big deal but its weird.
  7. NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

What are the glofish? The GMO work has been done to several species, and if it is the GMO tetra (G. ternetzi), your guppy may be under attack. As that species ages, it can be a little rough. Even if it isn't aggression in day to day life, your guppy is very thin and may be getting outcompeted for food.

Another possibility - age. Looking at the body shape of your guppy, he is kind of bumpy along the spine. That can be a sign of age. If you have been keeping him up at 76-80. that will shorten his lifespan. A guppy's range is 65f to 86f, but only the really inbred fancies need the higher temperatures. Past about 74 for a variety like yours, time is accelerated. So it may just be the natural progression of his life. They generally should live for 1 to 3 years, and you don't know how old he was when you got him. He could have been 5-6 months, and kept warm, things move quickly.

I have a very healthy guppy colony tank I have had for close to 10 years now, at (he said, googling fahrenheit) 72 for most of the year. I never use heaters with guppies.

8. Nyla Member Member

I ordered the API test kit. Should be getting it tomorrow. In the meantime Ivanka seems to be doing better but he does have something thin and clear I've noticed coming out. It's not the poo though, I saw poo that was food colored. I don't believe it's ich because the others don't have it. I'll post water results as soon as I get them. Thank you all for great info so far!
  9. iamclaire Member Member

Im so so sorry but that is a male guppy. They naturally have a much shorter life span than the females do. As in 3 months in the wild. If you google this it will give you more info, but its a natural part of their life cycle to help keep the population in check. Im really sorry, I raised a male fry and he aged out too. Its heart breaking.
  10. Whitewolf Well Known Member Member

Whatever it has its not good, either callamanus worms or Fish Tuberculosis. Do your other fish, and your hobby in general and euthanize that thing.