Guppy In Labor??

Marcus_Guppies

HELP My pregnant guppy is swimming in place by the filter and heater and sometimes she faces upward like 45 degrees up and swims really fast in place and her eyes get big and black and there really big but then she swims normal speed in the same space in her eyes are normal again what is this the first time she was with a male was 25 days ago what is going on PLEASE REPLY contractions!?!? Should I prepare for fry How many DAYS LEFT???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 173
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 145

Advertisement

Advertisement
I think you should separate the baby guppies once they are born because fish who are larger than them and sometimes even the male adult guppies will eat them. If you don't want to separate them just put a lot of hiding place for them.

Advertisement
I think you should separate the baby guppies once they are born because fish who are larger than them and sometimes even the male adult guppies will eat them. If you don't want to separate them just put a lot of hiding place for them.
I think he knows, he was just asking if she was pregnant or not.
Keep in mind this is his second batch

If she has not given birth by the time I post this than I will be surprised. But just like Fish owner said, separate them as soon as possible. The other fish WILL eat them unless trained otherwise.

Happy fatherhood!

Sorry I assumed you where male, if you are female than:

Happy motherhood!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I assumed you where male, if you are female than:

Happy motherhood!
Yes I’m a male and the only other fish in the tank is a bushy nose/bristlenose pleco is it fine if I let her be but if she gave birth then look for the fry and get them out I just got some plants Java fern Amazon sword and mermaid she still didn’t give birth probably tommorow she is only 4-5 months old

The pleco Will probably not eat the fri. I don’t know for sure but, also, do you know if you have a cannabalistic strain? Also, you will probably not have very many buppies ( baby guppies) as I ask me this is the first pregnancy. I would say, take as many babies out as you can but remember they are a good source of nutrients!

HAPPY GUPPYS!!

The pleco Will probably not eat the fri. I don’t know for sure but, also, do you know if you have a cannabalistic strain? Also, you will probably not have very many buppies ( baby guppies) as I ask me this is the first pregnancy. I would say, take as many babies out as you can but remember they are a good source of nutrients!

HAPPY GUPPYS!!
Ok I have a feeder guppies

Advertisement
I believe all grown guppies of any type will eat fry. They don't know them from floating food.

Due soon
I believe all grown guppies of any type will eat fry. They don't know them from floating food.
ok thanks also can you tell how long until she may give birth it is day 27

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 111
Due soon

ok thanks also can you tell how long until she may give birth it is day 27

How long? No.
But from the looks I'd say within 36 to 48 hours.

If a guppy is having contractions does that mean she’s in labor how long can a guppy be in labor?? How many days until fry??

Attachments

• guppystrain.zip
    104.5 KB · Views: 88
  • guppystrain.zip
    104.5 KB · Views: 79
It is nearly impossible to tell the strain of a female guppy, even if your pictures loaded,Which they are not. Your best bet is to raise up the fry, and see. If it is a feeder guppy, it won't be a strain, it will just be a dull colored mutt guppy.

It is nearly impossible to tell the strain of a female guppy, even if your pictures loaded,Which they are not. Your best bet is to raise up the fry, and see. If it is a feeder guppy, it won't be a strain, it will just be a dull colored mutt guppy.
Feeder guppy is itself a strain, some are more colorful, I've even had lavender males from a plain looking three inch long female that was 2 years old when she passed due to aggression from a male swordtail.

Some females can be guessed at but most females from pet stores haven't been bred to the same strain of male, so the resulting fry most likely won't look or be the similar strain to mom. Some genetics will be hidden by the color of the female as well. Unless you have gotten her from a breeder that has kept a record of what her genetics are from she would just be considered a mutt.

Feeder guppy is itself a strain, some are more colorful, I've even had lavender males from a plain looking three inch long female that was 2 years old when she passed due to aggression from a male swordtail.

Some females can be guessed at but most females from pet stores haven't been bred to the same strain of male, so the resulting fry most likely won't look or be the similar strain to mom. Some genetics will be hidden by the color of the female as well. Unless you have gotten her from a breeder that has kept a record of what her genetics are from she would just be considered a mutt.
Ok thanms

HELP GUPPY HIDING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CLUSTER OF PLANTS still pregnant and is breathing really quickly and she’s breathing REALLY fast is she in labor? Please help?!!?!!

here’s picture s

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 121
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 113

Advertisement

here’s picture s
Breathing fast, hiding, and glass surfing are all signs. I know from what I've seen they can hold em for longer then a month if there not comfortable. Or a preditor in the tank. They can eat young also. But long as there feed good it's not an issue. I'd say ur guppy could be next couple days to a week or 2 depending on. Temp, food, what else is with em, how long they been in the tank with tankmates
Photo here ain't real clear but you can see her belly she's an old guppy and a big amount of fry but she's been dropping slowly each day

Attachments

• 20180911_190203.jpg
    20180911_190203.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 319
Breathing fast, hiding, and glass surfing are all signs. I know from what I've seen they can hold em for longer then a month if there not comfortable. Or a preditor in the tank. They can eat young also. But long as there feed good it's not an issue. I'd say ur guppy could be next couple days to a week or 2 depending on. Temp, food, what else is with em, how long they been in the tank with tankmates
temp is about 72-75 she hasnt been eating only a small pleco theyve been together since 4-5 months

temp is about 72-75 she hasnt been eating only a small pleco theyve been together since 4-5 months
The no eating is a good sign she's uncomfortable and be sooner then later. Or she's dropping fry and picking em off as they come to the top

The no eating is a good sign she's uncomfortable and be sooner then later. Or she's dropping fry and picking em off as they come to the top
Ok is it ok that she’s constantly opening and closing her mouth faster than pac man is that ok?

Ok is it ok that she’s constantly opening and closing her mouth faster than pac man is that ok?
To me it seems a little over stressed mine will swim around usually and do a little bounce and one will drop to the bottem then up to the top guppys will hover at the top till there's a good amount threw the tank in a species only or with like u said a pleco. If ur looking a lot that alone might ad stress could be why she's hiding. Long as the waters good. nature will take its couse. It's vary few and far between they pass in dropping fry. Myself like 3 outta 500 die giving birth maybe.

Hello, one of my female guppies is acting strange. She was fine until yesterday afternoon. She suddenly isolated herself from the rest of the group and went all the way to top back of tank and was sitting down on top of the wave maker. The wave maker is not active right now. So after some google searching, it seemed like she was about to go into labor but it's been almost 24 hours since she started acting this way. I have had guppies for about a week so I'm not too familiar with how they are supposed to look when they are pregnant but according to google her stomach looks a little bigger but I don't see the black dot near her tail? Her color is yellow so it makes it difficult to notice any color changes on her. I tried feeding her but she's not eating much and not very active either. I moved her to a breeder net, raised the tank temp to 76 and added some floating live plants in there. She is breathing and moving around periodically but shes staying at the bottom of the breeder net. Anyone know if she is pregnant or could she be sick?? Should I take her out of the breeder net and let her find a nicer spot in the tank? If she is pregnant I want to save at least a few fry but if she's not I don't want to keep her confined in a small space for too long.

She might be in labor now. Some photos would be appreciated. Did you think about her stressing her out? Your water parameters? Is the tank cycled? The size of the tank? How much guppies do you keep?
Please take her out of the breeder net as this will stress her out and make her abort her fry.

If you keep male guppies then your female will be most likely to be pregnant every 30 days or so. Just remember that you should keep 3 females to 1 male, if you will keep more males to 3 females, the males will haunt your female / s.

Water parameters are good. It's a 100 gallon tank with live plants. I just set this tank up a little over a week ago and added in 6 zebra danios with 6 guppies to cycle the tank. The clerk at my local fish store recommended the fish. Two of the Guppies jumped out but I installed a lid on it now so hopefully the others will be safer. I've been using Seachem Stabilizer to help with cycle and the 3 guppies look good, swimming up and down the tank, the danios also look to be doing good. This one was also active and fully functional up until yesterday afternoon. I did add Seachem Excel for the plants yesterday, so maybe that affected her somehow but the rest of the fish are fine so I'm not completely sure. Anyway, I'm throwing out the Excel as it seems dangerous for the fish. If I take her out of the breeder net then I'm scared none of the Fry will survive. I have some hornwort that I could put in different areas of the tank so the fry can have a place to hide. Attached are some pics of the guppy, sorry for the quality but it's really difficult to see her through the breeder net.

I took her out of the breeder tank, just lowered and let her swim out of it. She's hanging out at the bottom of the tank under cover of some plants. Attached are some better pictures. What are chances that some of the fry will survive without her being in the breeder tank? I have a feeling none, cause of the 6 danios and the 3 other adult guppies.

Attachments

• image2 (1).jpeg
    image2 (1).jpeg
    33.9 KB · Views: 85
  • image1 (1).jpeg
    image1 (1).jpeg
    45.3 KB · Views: 98
  • image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    44.1 KB · Views: 87
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    23.4 KB · Views: 90
  • image2 (2).jpeg
    image2 (2).jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 87
  • image1 (2).jpeg
    image1 (2).jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 92
  • image0 (2).jpeg
    image0 (2).jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 80
This is a male. It has a gonopodium and probably the uncycled tank stresses him out.
Image Source: How to Identify Male and Female Guppies

Wow thank that changes the whole situation. What should I do in this case? It's been less than a week since the fish were added, the other fish seem to be doing really well. I just check the water parameters, PH is in the lower 8, Ammonia is 0, Nitrite NO2 is 0 Nitrate NO3 is somewhere been 0 and 5.

Advertisement

Wow thank that changes the whole situation. What should I do in this case? It's been less than a week since the fish were added, the other fish seem to be doing really well. I just check the water parameters, PH is in the lower 8, Ammonia is 0, Nitrite NO2 is 0 Nitrate NO3 is somewhere been 0 and 5.
Try daily partial WCs and hen see if the condition of your guppy changes. Did you acclimate them? Is the guppy breathing fast? Is yes, then this could be osmotic shock.

Yes I acclimated them very slowly for about half an hour before adding them in the tank. He was for a few days and suddenly started acting like this yesterday. I’ve been using Seachem stabilizer for the past two days and I’ve used Seachem Excel yesterday so maybe he didn’t like the excel? I didn’t use it today and probably won’t after reading all the horror stories.

Yes I acclimated them very slowly for about half an hour before adding them in the tank. He was for a few days and suddenly started acting like this yesterday. I’ve been using Seachem stabilizer for the past two days and I’ve used Seachem Excel yesterday so maybe he didn’t like the excel? I didn’t use it today and probably won’t after reading all the horror stories.
I don't think you should actually use Excel as it is quite danerous to fish. I would reccomend you to do partial WCs until you get rid of the Excel from the water.

How much Excel did you use? I have never had an issue with excel and my fish. Could your little friend have swum into excel when you dosed it, thus exposing him to it directly and in a concentrated form - that would most certainly cause issues.
For now, frequent partial water changes might help. Keep an eye on your water parameters. Hope your little guy recovers.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
emeraldking
  • Question
Replies
Views
HupGupp
Replies
Views
Amberk9
Replies