Guppy illness

CoronaExtra

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello I am unsure of what this random mass on one of my female guppies is. It just appeared and I'm confused. Also, I have experienced some issues with female guppies I have in my tank. They often get skinny even tho I feed regularly and well. I'm worried for when I put my new batch of baby guppies into my main tank that they will meet a similar fate. The males are all doing good and some females get pregnant while others get skinny and pass

Attachments

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Judging from the picture, I think it might be an internal parasite, but I am not entirely sure. Loss of appetite is common.
Is your tank cycled? What are its parameters?
Temperature? PH?
How long have you kept the guppies for and are any else affected?

OP
CoronaExtra

CoronaExtra

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes my tank has been cycled for a long time now and the temperature is 79 degrees. This female is one of two I got from my pet store recently and there's one other guppy female who is skinny and very blah

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
CoronaExtra said:
Yes my tank has been cycled for a long time now and the temperature is 79 degrees. This female is one of two I got from my pet store recently and there's one other guppy female who is skinny and very blah
Have you put the new guppies in quarantine? Pet stores (depending on its reputation) have a higher chance of containing parasites or diseases such as ich so quarantine is necessary.

Can you give us an exact number of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and the ph?

You might want to treat the entire tank with medications that cure internal parasites; better now than later. I never had to deal with parasites, though, so hopefully someone will be able to help you out.

OP
CoronaExtra

CoronaExtra

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes I put them in quarantine and it didn't do anything. They were both in quarantine for almost a month, one had babies and is healthy still. But I don't think it did much, I think they brought a small ich to my main tank but I handled it immediately

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What treatment did you use to treat the ich? Any ammonia spikes and have you introduced any new fish to your tank? Any recent water changes?
What is your dechlorinator? I use Prime as it serves as both a dechlorinator and a detoxifier.

Do you have an API Master Kit? If so, could you give the parameters of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and the ph?

Sorry for the amount of questions, I just want to help.

New Threads