Guppy Hole In The Stomach!

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just found one.of my guppies with a hole in his stomach!!

Raised these guys since birth, never had any parasites or diseases. Fish are about 6 months old.

10g tank. Male guppies, RCS, and snails only. And a single male molly. No new additions.
76F
0 ammonia
0 nitrites
5-10 nitrates as of right now (Just did WC yesterday)

It looks like someone took a bite out of him, but I have no idea who would have don't it.

ed244edf1c64e2d574d26c0b9edd931e.jpg
fe537cd9a86c4a26581d06d6438eb642.jpg

1) did something eat him? If so, who?
2) if not, what type of disease is this? How would I treat it, and how does it get introduced?
3) amazingly, he is still swimming around. Upright. No idea how. Is there any way he will recover, or should I euthanize him now?

Edit: some more information:
He was fine during lunch, which is why I think this is a bite instead of a parasite. A parasite would have to work fast to make such a large hole in 3 hours.
I did check for camallanus worms. Not clearly yes or no. There is a single red stringy thing, but it's not moving and I am pretty sure it's an intestine not a worm. I checked all my remaining fish and didn't see and redness or signs or worms.

Last edited:

Pastel.Fish.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have no clue what that would be but personally it looks like he`s suffering alot and I`d euthanize him, with a hole that size it looks fatal/very painful. I may be wrong, but I don`t think a molly,shrimp can bite a guppy like that. I`ve had the same thing happen to a guppy in her own tank and her side burst open, she passed though. Hopefully someone else can help more but I hope that this helps a bit!

shiv234

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Raised these guys since birth, never had any parasites or diseases. Fish are about 6 months old.

10g tank. Male guppies, RCS, and snails only. And a single male molly. No new additions.
76F
0 ammonia
0 nitrites

It looks like someone took a bite out of him, but I have no idea who would have don't it.

View attachment 356591View attachment 356592

2) if not, what type of disease is this? How would I treat it, and how does it get introduced?
3) amazingly, he is still swimming around. Upright. No idea how. Is there any way he will recover, or should I euthanize him now?
looks like a parasite

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have no clue what that would be but personally it looks like he`s suffering alot and I`d euthanize him, with a hole that size it looks fatal/very painful. I may be wrong, but I don`t think a molly,shrimp can bite a guppy like that. I`ve had the same thing happen to a guppy in her own tank and her side burst open, she passed though. Hopefully someone else can help more but I hope that this helps a bit!
I agree, it does look painful. I would like to diagnose this before I kill him, though if there is no positive outlook then I'll do it tonight.

Any idea what type?

Last edited by a moderator:

shiv234

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i don't really know since i never had to treat this though. I don't think he has a chance though since whatever it is is eating its flesh away( looks that way)

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That looks like an ulcer, most likely from a parasites or bacteria.

Do you see any worms on the inside of the hole? It could be callamanus (in which get some tank water and a separate container and let the your fish remain in there just in case it is the worm. If it is there, they'll most likely try to leave the host or you'll have more time to se them and you can pinpoint them if it is)

For now, keep an eye on your other fish. Do a large water change and gravel vac (if possible) and soak some food in anti-parasite meds (like Prazipro) to feed to be on the safe side.

What meds do you have in your cupboard?

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That looks like an ulcer, most likely from a parasites or bacteria.

Do you see any worms on the inside of the hole? It could be callamanus (in which get some tank water and a separate container and let the your fish remain in there just in case it is the worm. If it is there, they'll most likely try to leave the host or you'll have more time to se them and you can pinpoint them if it is)

For now, keep an eye on your other fish. Do a large water change and gravel vac (if possible) and soak some food in anti-parasite meds (like Prazipro) to feed to be on the safe side.

What meds do you have in your cupboard?

Dont think its camallanus worms. There is one red stringy thing, but it's not moving and I'm pretty sure it's an intestine. I did move him to a separate container.

If it was an ulcer, it developed very quickly. He was fine when I ate lunch, 3 hours later he has a hole.

I checked the rest of the fish, nothing visibly the matter with them. Look and act like normal.

I have a lot of stuff... nothing for worms though :/ but I have a mom and pop store and petco and petsmart within driving distance for anything I need to buy.

Last edited:

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dont think its camallanus worms. There is one red stringy thing, but it's not moving and I'm pretty sure it's an intestine. I did move him to a separate container.

If it was an ulcer, it developed very quickly. He was fine when I ate lunch, 3 hours later he has a hole.

I checked the rest of the fish, nothing visibly the matter with them. Look and act like normal.

I have a lot of stuff... nothing for worms though :/ but I have a mom and pop store and petco and petsmart within driving distance for anything I need to buy.
They can pop up pretty quick especially if there's been a lot of pressure from said parasite, bacteria, or even if the gastrointestinal tract had too much acid and it "pops". I see it happen in koi quite often (they're more susceptible being in those ponds all the time).

You don't have to dose yet, but a combo Kanaplex and Metroplex will be a good back up if it is bacterial. And do a feeding with anti-parasite soaked food as well.

shiv234

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They can pop up pretty quick especially if there's been a lot of pressure from said parasite, bacteria, or even if the gastrointestinal tract had too much acid and it "pops". I see it happen in koi quite often (they're more susceptible being in those ponds all the time).

You don't have to dose yet, but a combo Kanaplex and Metroplex will be a good back up if it is bacterial. And do a feeding with anti-parasite soaked food as well.
you making me want to swim and check my fish out now:stop::stop:

Mktropical

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That looks incredibly painful and deep. The fact that it occurred so quickly makes me think possible parasite with possible bacterial. I had good luck with seachem paragaurd but he will need something for internal paristies. If he begins to struggle I would euthanasize him with clove oil protocol right away and consider treating the tank with Paragaurd. It can be used a prevention for new arrivals as well and seems well tolerated.

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So I did euthanize him.
I've been watching for any movement or so see if and worms appear, but nothing so far. I will check again in the morning is anything gets emitted from his body.

nurseemily

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
the lesion looks so 'new' and deep! if it was human, I'd say it looks like a wound due to lack of noticeable necrotic/dead tissue. but there appears to be an larger circle around its entirety that's lighter? hard to say without a comparison of his other/healthy side. either way, I'm so sorry for your loss!!

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
the lesion looks so 'new' and deep! if it was human, I'd say it looks like a wound due to lack of noticeable necrotic/dead tissue. but there appears to be an larger circle around its entirety that's lighter? hard to say without a comparison of his other/healthy side. either way, I'm so sorry for your loss!!
This morning he was completely normal. And If I flip him over you wouldn't even be able to tell he was injured.

In the picture it does looks like there's a slightly larder circle around the hole that's lighter, but I think that's just because of the flash on my camera. Although the tissue does look slightly frayed... perhaps the bacteria is getting to it.

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Poor thing, I'm glad he's not suffering anymore. I'm so sorry for your loss, I wish we could find out what exactly happened, I would hate to not know and it happen again.

nurseemily

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This morning he was completely normal. And If I flip him over you wouldn't even be able to tell he was injured.

In the picture it does looks like there's a slightly larder circle around the hole that's lighter, but I think that's just because of the flash on my camera. Although the tissue does look slightly frayed... perhaps the bacteria is getting to it.
is there anything in your tank he could have got stuck on swimming by? a bacterial or parasite infection would seem (I'd think) rare to present this quickly and so severely with no other lesions or symptoms or affected/infected fish. do you have an angry fish in there? I'm so perplexed and SO curious as to the cause of this. know anyone with a microscope?

AZrodeo92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Now I'm super paranoid about my tank... I don't have any fish with holes but should I maybe get an parasite treatment or bacteria treatment?is it ok to randomly dose the tank a few times a year as a prevention. If yes, should I do the treatments together? And what should I use... sorry to hijack the conversation

nurseemily

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
no, I don't suggest any chemicals until you rule out all inanimate potential causes for injury. look at every nook and cranny first. if you see nothing that could potentially cause injury, THEN proceed to medicate if indicated. **this is all coming from a human perspective - with ZERO fish medical experience**

tommywantfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years

76F
0 ammonia
0 nitrites

View attachment 356591View attachment 356592

Edit: some more information:
He was fine during lunch, which is why I think this is a bite instead of a parasite. A parasite would have to work fast to make such a large hole in 3 hours.
I did check for camallanus worms. Not clearly yes or no. There is a single red stringy thing, but it's not moving and I am pretty sure it's an intestine not a worm. I checked all my remaining fish and didn't see and redness or signs or worms.
Read this. A male guppy could of hurt him.....and the RCS will jump on a wounded fish quick. May be wrong....but I can not figure another explanation. Never seen a parasite/bac put a hole in a fish that big.
Male Guppies Fighting

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So 3 days later I have yet so see anything come out of his body. Therefore I have come to the conclusion that someone bit him and possibly the shrimp made the hole larger. Thanks for your help everyone!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom