Guppy Holding Onto Fry?

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Vxx7, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Vxx7

Vxx7 Valued Member Member

Just wanted to ask for some opinions on one of my girl guppies. All of them came to me pregnant and have been in the tank nearly a month. She was the biggest of the group, both pregnancy wise and length. Almost all of my other girls have dropped and some are even pregnant again but she seems to be holding onto her fry. She's also much bigger in the belly than any of my others got. Is she gearing up to give birth or should I be worried about her? She's rubbing up against the decor and is much slower moving than the rest but other than that she's behaving normally, no hovering or sitting at the bottom.

Attached Files:

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't worry my guppies waited until 3-4 months after I got them to give birth

3. d

danefrnds Valued Member Member

Try a bit of live food but make sure she gets some of the live food n make sure not to overfeed

4. Seyff

Seyff Valued Member Member

I would not worry. Normal gestation period can run 20 to 40 days, water temperature can also affect gestation.

5. OP
    OP
    Vxx7

Vxx7 Valued Member Member

Good to know, I'll give her a few more weeks then before I start worrying. Water temperature sits around 78 and live food is a bit difficult as nowhere local sells it. I can make a special trip out but obviously not on a weekly basis. I did experiment with hatching my own brine shrimp but I fed those to my fry tank. Would frozen do? I have artemia, daphnia and white and black mosquito larvae.

6. d

danefrnds Valued Member Member

I dnt think frozen would do bt wait for a few more weeks ... If she still doesn't drop the fry try out live food brine shrimp would also work ... But wait for a few weeks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice