guppy help

Gina423

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have a five gallon tank. I am thinking about getting 2 guppies because they are easy to care for and they are so pretty looking. However, I am NOT interested in breeding them. I also only want two fish and I heard that if you have one female and one male, then the male will harass the female.

So I was wondering, since the males are generally prettier could I get two males? Would they live peacefully together?

Gina423

Valued Member
Reaction score
anyone?

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think they would, just wait for a more experienced member to answer the question.
Tom

Gina423

Valued Member
Reaction score
ok thanks

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
I keep male guppies together in a species tank. My first three got along great, but Ruari harassed two of them and I believe had something to do with their death's. He gets along fine with Fionn, though. My advice: get two males, and when you bring them home observe them closely. If one is harassing the other, isolate that one for several hours and then re-release it into the tank. If it continues to be a problem, exchange it for a different one.

Gina423

Valued Member
Reaction score
So I guess each fish is different, just like people! Thanks!

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yep just like people. Just so you know, I tried the isolation trick on my black molly who was picking on my new red dalmation molly - not believing it would work, which is why I'm telling you I've tried it - and when I released him back into the tank, he was perfectly fine with it.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
emilai333 said:
I keep male guppies together in a species tank.  My first three got along great, but Ruari harassed two of them and I believe had something to do with their death's.  He gets along fine with Fionn, though.  My advice: get two males, and when you bring them home observe them closely.  If one is harassing the other, isolate that one for several hours and then re-release it into the tank.  If it continues to be a problem, exchange it for a different one. 
You could also just get 3 guppies. The dominant male will usually become unaggressive. It's kinda hard to explain but...yeah.

dfrap

Reaction score
I have 3 male guppies in a ten gallon and they all get along great. I started with one male 3 mos. ago, then added 2 more after a month, and had no problems

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
emilai333 said:
Yep just like people. Just so you know, I tried the isolation trick on my black molly who was picking on my new red dalmation molly - not believing it would work, which is why I'm telling you I've tried it - and when I released him back into the tank, he was perfectly fine with it.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
emilai333 said:
So you isolated the aggressive male, right? What did you isolate him in? A new tank or just a birthing unit in the same tank? I was going to try that with my molly male, but reckoned he wouldn't have enough room to move around if in the same tank, and reckoned another tank was perhaps too drastic.

How long did you keep him in isolation for?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is really interesting.

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
sorry for the lag time, I've been out of state for three months and am just catching up now. I actually floated the aggressive molly in an old betta cup (I made sure to exchange water every hour or so so that toxins wouldn't build up on him) for about a day. A seperate tank might work just as well, I just didn't have a seperate tank. Since it was only one day I figured he'd be OK with no room to move around.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
OK, well thanks! That's good to know.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom