Guppy Help!!

rainlemongrass

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’m doing something wrong but I’m not sure what exactly.

(EDIT: in this tank I also have an albino bristlenose plecco who is dead as of just now as well)

I went away for the weekend and when I came back, my tetras, my corys and my danios are all as good as ever but I lost 4 guppies. The 2 males I got in oct as part of my original batch, the one female was also from that first batch and has had 100s of babies and wasn’t doing well when I left. She was hollowed our and very tired looking. She’s been that way since her last batch of babies a month ago. I’d been expecting her to die for a while now so that wasn’t a big surprise, unfortunately. The other girl I got 2 weeks ago and was fairly young. I suspect she died having the babies that were here to greet me when I checked on them last night. I’ve lost a number of 3&4 month old fry though, due to prolapse and some of them get these long stringy poos sometimes. Usually after the poo they get skinny with flat abdomen bottoms and then shortly thereafter I discover them dead.

I’ve used the food pucks on past holidays but took everyone’s advice to skip that this time and just did a bit bigger of a feeding the day before I left for 3 days. One mistake I know I made was that I forgot to turn the water temp down so it stayed at 77. Outside of that, parameters are: ammonia & nitrites 0, nitrates 10 and ph 7.0. It’s a 38 gallon bow front tank, with 1 blue gouramis 6 coloured danios, 6 rasboras, 6 neons, 3 corys and when I left it had 4 male and 3 female guppies and 7 or 8 2-5 month old fry that I’m not planning on keeping all of, maybe just a few to replace the adults I lost. Now I have 1 female and 2 males plus the older fry and the 7 brand new fry that were born while I was away and rescued to a mesh breeder basket. I feed the whole lot tropical flakes, and the corys get the bottom feeder pellets once a week. I have 6 live plants plus a bunch of floating ones for the babies to hide throughout, some fake plants and lots of places for fish to hide among some rocks and a cave they all seem to like a different times if the day. I don’t add salt but I have some if I need it. My tap water sits at 6.2ph here so I have a bag of crushed coral in the filter box. Outside that I’m not doing anything special besides feeding once a day, using the white LED light 12hrs on, 12 off and using nourish for the plants according to package directions once a week.

Help??? My kids and I love the guppies and we enjoy the babies we get until we send them to a LFS. I’d like to get things sorted so I don’t keep losing any though. And its getting discouraging!

penguin02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You said she was hollowed out? That could have been an internal parasite. Was her belly shrunken-looking at all?

Do you notice anything that screams disease on the other fish?

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You said you forgot to lower your temp? What was the temp? Regarding feeding, how much do you feed? I feed mine 2 x's day.

rainlemongrass

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
This pic shows the female I lost with the hollowed abdomen, where you can also see a lump growing inside her. This was last week when I knew her days were numbered. She’s been skinny like this for weeks. I thought she was just dying from age and multiple births, but now I’m worried it’s a parasite or something.

penguin02 said:
You said she was hollowed out? That could have been an internal parasite. Was her belly shrunken-looking at all?

Do you notice anything that screams disease on the other fish?
I posted a pic, and no, besides the string white poos I edited into the post, they are all good. I had ick after my last holiday in March from the food pucks but otherwise all are fine.

Goldiemom said:
You said you forgot to lower your temp? What was the temp? Regarding feeding, how much do you feed? I feed mine 2 x's day.
The temp was/is 77. I was told to lower it for holidays without food so their metabolism slows down a bit so they don’t get as hungry. I normally feed 2 times a day on weekdays and once a day on weekends.

Attachments

penguin02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That definitely looks like an internal parasite. I'm no disease expert but someone should come around to help you with treatment soon.

rainlemongrass

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
penguin02 said:
That definitely looks like an internal parasite. I'm no disease expert but someone should come around to help you with treatment soon.
Thanks!

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It has to be some type of parasite. @Gypsy13 is good with this kind of thing. Let see if she replies. Gypsy - I'm going to be your eyes. The fish is definately sunk in, very skinny and a white lump on its side by belly. What do you think? Parasite? How to treat?

rainlemongrass said:
The temp was/is 77. I was told to lower it for holidays without food so their metabolism slows down a bit so they don’t get as hungry. I normally feed 2 times a day on weekdays and once a day on weekends.
That was still in guppy range and should not have had any affect on them.

rainlemongrass

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Goldiemom said:
It has to be some type of parasite. @Gypsy13 is good with this kind of thing. Let see if she replies. Gypsy - I'm going to be your eyes. The fish is definately sunk in, very skinny and a white lump on its side by belly. What do you think? Parasite? How to treat?
Perfect! I sent gypsy a message last week about her and she got an update on the situation this am. Thanks for reaching out for me though!!

Goldiemom said:
And just to confirm @Gypsy13 , the lump was the one that was inside that I mentioned before that looked like was going to burst through. She body was completely eaten besides her spine so I’m not sure what came of it. But if it was a parasite, I suspect I should be worried about how far it’s spreading, since her potentially infected body was consumed by who knows how many fish but definitely the corys I’d assume.

rainlemongrass

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’m not sure if this helps at all, but this is a picture of one of the males. His tail fin and eyes are obviously gone but aside from that, his only damage to his body is that his entire stomach is missing. He was also healthy looking when I left, he just had a few tail fin nips from a few months ago, it just never grew back. Maybe that’s how fish eat their dead mates, I just wasn’t sure because I always pull them out right after I see they’ve died. The tank was left unattended for 72 hours.

Attachments

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
rainlemongrass said:
Perfect! I sent gypsy a message last week about her and she got an update on the situation this am. Thanks for reaching out for me though!!

And just to confirm @Gypsy13 , the lump was the one that was inside that I mentioned before that looked like was going to burst through. She body was completely eaten besides her spine so I’m not sure what came of it. But if it was a parasite, I suspect I should be worried about how far it’s spreading, since her potentially infected body was consumed by who knows how many fish but definitely the corys I’d assume.
Gypsy is definately the "go to" person for diseases.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
rainlemongrass said:
I’m not sure if this helps at all, but this is a picture of one of the males. His tail fin and eyes are obviously gone but aside from that, his only damage to his body is that his entire stomach is missing. He was also healthy looking when I left, he just had a few tail fin nips from a few months ago, it just never grew back. Maybe that’s how fish eat their dead mates, I just wasn’t sure because I always pull them out right after I see they’ve died. The tank was left unattended for 72 hours.
Did he lose his stomach as a result of disease or was eaten by another fish?

rainlemongrass

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I forgot to list an albino bristlnose plecco as another fish in the tank. And now he’s dead too. He was alive last time I saw him this morning but not anymore. That’s a sad loss for sure

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom