Guppy health - help

BruceAC

Reaction score
Hello,
If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.
I have a 10 gallon tank with 10 guppies. Yesterday I got 6 more from my local pet shop to add onto my 4 already in the tank. Everything had been completely fine until I added the 6 new guppies in. One of them I noticed had a rip in his fin. I treated the tank with melafix just to prevent disease spread and also to help out this guys tail rip. Last night I noticed he started to stay close to the bottom of the tank. He was at the bottom this morning too. He seems to be breathing normal, just his tail seems to be disintegrating.

The first picture is from when he was first put in the tank, and the second is from today like 30 minutes ago. So not even 24 hours of time has passed between the pictures.
20200329_111112.jpg

20200329_111215(0).jpg

20200329_111255.jpg

I apologize for the blurry pictures, I hope you can see what is happening well enough.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Desi

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Unfortunately a 10 gallon tank is to small for 10 guppies. They are very active fish and need plenty of room to swim and explore. The males will tend to be aggressive towards one another in cramped corners. If you have any females you'll have a ton of fry in no time and that'll be a whole other problem in itself. I'd take back the 6 you just bought or get a 20 gallon. I hate to be the bearer of bad news.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Not to be rude or anything, but 10 guppies in a 10 gallon is not too much. As long as your setup is appropriate(of course some guppies are more aggressive than others) and you do your maintenance, it should be fine. For 10 guppies or 16 guppies to work, however, you will need to do more water changes and have good filtration, as well as hiding spots. Because of that you will end up with lots of fry and if the adults don't eat them and they don't get sucked up, you'll need a extra tank. Finrot is a sign of stress, salt baths should help(make sure to research on how to do them).I wouldn't use melafix since I've seen mixed opinions on it. If you have something like stress zyme you could add that as it will help.

New Threads