Guppy has white stringy poop

16degus

I adopted a 3gallon "tank" along with its one betta, one guppy and mystery snail. I prepared a 20 Long and have introduced all three to it over the past few days. The snail went in last week, the guppy went in on Monday, the betta on yesterday.
I just noticed that the guppy has long white stringy poop attached to its underside. Is this a sign of illness? Stress? If so, what do you recommend I do to help the guppy.

Tank Size: 20 Long
Parameters: gH 120, kH 240, pH 7.5, temp 78 degrees F
Inhabitants: one guppy, one betta (previous owner had betta in with the guppy the past year and a half - guppy has damage to tail fin, betta chases the guppy), one mystery snail
No live plants
Tank was set up on Sept. 17 and ran with a seeded filter (filter media from my other 20L housing a betta and assassins)
No ammonia spike so thought it would be safe by now.
FIlter: Tidal 35
Heater: Aqueon 100w submersible

Please help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Also wondering if I need an aerator/bubbler as well as the hob filter for the guppy

Heron

Sounds like it might be constipated, best treatment is to feed it a shelled, cooked pea or a slice of blanched courgette. If you have daphnia that may also help but if you don't have any I wouldn't bother buying it because the pea or courgette work as well if not better. To avoid constipation it's best to give your fish a starve day once every week or two.

I forgot to say in my last post that although a bubbler may be good for the guppy you would need to be careful with the betta. Bettas need an area of low water movement to rest, a bubbler may create too much turbulence depending how the tank is set up. If you have decor that creates still areas you might be ok with an airstone at a low level. If your oxygen levels are too low usually you will see the fish gulping at the surface a lot.

Upvote 0

16degus

Thanks Heron. I don't have daphnia but I do have thousands of scuds/gammarus in a separate tank. Should I see if the guppy will eat a few of these? He did eat a bloodworm this morning (thawed frozen).
I feed blanched courgette to the mystery snail so I will do so for the guppy as well (guess I cut it into very small slivers?). If he does not go for that, I will try the pea.
Also thanks for the advice re: the bubbler. There is already turbulence from the HOB. So far, I have not observed the guppy gulping.

Upvote 0

16degus

My guppy will not eat pea, or zucchini, or frozen brine shrimp - he is not eating anything. The bloating is getting worse and now he spends all of his time near the water's surface. He does try to swim downward, but does not stay there very long. Is there anything I can do? Is he going to die? Is this all as a result of constipation and stress?

Upvote 0

Heron

It's possible it may be dropsy. Dropsy isn't a cause it's a symptom that has many causes. A sign of dropsy is the scales pop up and look like a pinecone. The bad news is it's hard to treat, it may be caused by a bacterial infection so an antibacterial may help.
In my experience cures usually don't work and guppies are hard to treat. I live in the UK so antibiotic treatments can't be legally bought. But I am aware in the US better medications are available. The only good news is it isn't that contagious.
The best thing to do is to keep the water quality as good as you can with plenty of water changes.

Upvote 0

DeborahJeanne

I adopted a 3gallon "tank" along with its one betta, one guppy and mystery snail. I prepared a 20 Long and have introduced all three to it over the past few days. The snail went in last week, the guppy went in on Monday, the betta on yesterday.
I just noticed that the guppy has long white stringy poop attached to its underside. Is this a sign of illness? Stress? If so, what do you recommend I do to help the guppy.

Tank Size: 20 Long
Parameters: gH 120, kH 240, pH 7.5, temp 78 degrees F
Inhabitants: one guppy, one betta (previous owner had betta in with the guppy the past year and a half - guppy has damage to tail fin, betta chases the guppy), one mystery snail
No live plants
Tank was set up on Sept. 17 and ran with a seeded filter (filter media from my other 20L housing a betta and assassins)
No ammonia spike so thought it would be safe by now.
FIlter: Tidal 35
Heater: Aqueon 100w submersible

Please help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Also wondering if I need an aerator/bubbler as well as the hob filter for the guppy
I just went through this.....I bought guppies from several different people and they all arrived with white poop, so I thought it was normal. It isn’t. One by one they died. I tried General Cure, Maracyn, Furan-2. I probably lost about $600 worth of fish. I had one fry left. I was watching a KG tropical video on YT demonstrating how to
mix medication into food. He was using Seachem’s Metroplex. He mentioned if fish had white poop it’s a sure sign of parasites. I almost fell off my chair. So I ordered it on Amazon, it arrived in 2 days. You mix the proper dose of Metroplex with 3 tablespoons of frozen food, add focus which binds the med to the food, add garlic guard to hide the bitter taste of the med, let it sit for 30 minutes, and you can freeze whatever you don’t use for that feeding. It worked! In only 2 days the poop turned brown - but you need to dose for 3 weeks. And he has quadrupled his size in a week. White poop means there’s nothing in the poop - the parasites are eating all the nutrients. I also emailed Seachem and they were very helpful as well. If your fish won’t eat it, you can add it directly to the tank every other day. Seachem told me how much to add - it comes with a dosing spoon. He’s in a 5 gallon tank, so I add 1/2 spoon every other day. I used the frozen blood worms mix for the other tank and they ate it.

Upvote 0

16degus

Thanks again, Heron. I will do a partial water change. No pineconing atm. Guess I will be on the lookout for this.

Thanks for sharing, DeborahJeanne. Very sad about the death of your guppies; though very hopeful regarding the one who survived. I will check out SeaChem Metroplex.

Upvote 0

DeborahJeanne

One more thing - Seachem said snails and shrimp don’t do well with Metroplex, so you’ll need to take your snails out. Thank you for the kind words. And yes, I’m hopeful because he’s grown so much in such a short time. I learned 2 important things from this. Know your seller, and quarantine, quarantine, quarantine. I started over - new substrate, new tank (my other one was 30 years old and started leaking anyway), new filter, new plants. I’m using Tidal filters as well. I have 3 35’s - don’t you just love them????!!!!

Upvote 0

16degus

Yes, I love Tidal filters too - quiet, adjustable flow, easy to use.
Good to know re: Metroflex and snails – I would put the guppy in a separate tank. However, looks like Metroplex is not available in Canada atm. My regular aquarium supply store has it listed but has no stock. Only way to get it is from the US and that would take too long.

Upvote 0

DeborahJeanne

Can you get it on Amazon? I keep forgetting availability of different meds varies from country to country. I have Amazon Prime so delivery is 2 days. Or can your fish store order it quickly for you? Another thing I did was order the more popular meds so that if I need them, I have them. I had Focus and Garlic Guard on hand, so I only had to order the Metroplex. I’m making a habit of dosing all new fish with General Cure, 2 weeks later Maracyn. I don’t dose with Metroplex unless I see white poop - which I haven’t seen on the new ones I ordered from Twincities Guppies which has a great reputation on their imported guppies.

I think I’m doing better this time around. Last winter when this all started, my guppies didn’t have very many fry - sometimes only a couple, sometimes around 10. But my gold guppies had 20-30, and I’m expecting my Blue Tail Galaxies to have that many as well. These guppies are acting much more calm, relaxed and doing so much better all the way around. And while my tank is heavily planted, the adults don’t seem to be eating the fry. When I have the blue lights on, they look like little stars twinkling all over the place.

you should probably dose your betta since they’ve been in the same tank

Upvote 0

16degus

Unfortunately, it is out of stock on amazon.ca as well.
Good advice re: keeping meds on hand. Impressed by how well your guppies are doing and by your descriptions of them. Would love to see them "twinkling".
I plan to do a water change tomorrow and then will phone around to local stores for Metroplex. I so hope my guppy survives the night.

Upvote 0

DeborahJeanne

I kn
Unfortunately, it is out of stock on amazon.ca as well.
Good advice re: keeping meds on hand. Impressed by how well your guppies are doing and by your descriptions of them. Would love to see them "twinkling".
I plan to do a water change tomorrow and then will phone around to local stores for Metroplex. I so hope my guppy survives the night.
I know how you feel. I felt the same when I ordered it too. I just did a google search. There are several places that sell it with free shipping. Search “SeaChem Metroplex“. Of course if you can find it locally, that’s even better. Good luck and let me know how you make out. I’ll try to video the “twinkling fry” and if it works out, I’ll upload it.

Upvote 0

16degus

Found out that in Canada antibiotics can only be prescribed by a vet - that is why it can't be purchased anymore. (Hoping that the video works out. )

Upvote 0

DeborahJeanne

I’m so sorry! That seems so unfair. I hope you have a veterinarian that will help you out....,

Upvote 0

16degus

Update: I spoke to two different "experts" - one at an aquarium store and another at a pet store. Both seemed to know alot about bettas and guppies. They both said that my guppy is probably just stressed because he is in such a big tank without fish to school with and because the betta is territorial and harassing him. One said that I should get more guppies or other fish for the guppy to school with. The other told me to remove the betta and put him back into the 3 gallon, let the guppy get used to the 20galLong, fill the tank up with live plants so the guppy has appropriate hiding places, then introduce a couple of other guppies, and then introduce the betta.
I have a tank divider – I'd rather divide the tank in half so that both have 10 gallons to live in (the mystery snail would go in the side with the guppy). One of the persons did not think this would help because they would still be able to see each other and the stress would continue. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

DeborahJeanne

I want to be sure I understand what you’re saying - are they saying the white poop is due to stress? And is your divider clear or black?

Upvote 0

16degus

Yes, I think that's what they are saying - that the white poop indicates constipation and the constipation is due to stress. Does this make sense?
The divider is clear. I tried it - it doesn't fit very well and the holes are so small, it restricts water flow. Afraid the betta will find its way around it anyway and that the filter, being situated only on one side, won't do its job. (Wonder if I would need two filters in a divided tank.) So I took it out.
I put in a couple of extra fake plants to create a corner with lots of vegetation to hide in – seriously thinking of buying live plants as soon as the store receives its stock (both stores are out of live plants atm) if the guppy makes it to Tuesday (stores closed tomorrow due to Canada Thanksgiving). I am at a loss regarding what to do. Both stores confirmed that they are not allowed to stock Metroplex or anything like it.

Upvote 0

DeborahJeanne

Yes, I think that's what they are saying - that the white poop indicates constipation and the constipation is due to stress. Does this make sense?
The divider is clear. I tried it - it doesn't fit very well and the holes are so small, it restricts water flow. Afraid the betta will find its way around it anyway and that the filter, being situated only on one side, won't do its job. (Wonder if I would need two filters in a divided tank.) So I took it out.
I put in a couple of extra fake plants to create a corner with lots of vegetation to hide in – seriously thinking of buying live plants as soon as the store receives its stock (both stores are out of live plants atm) if the guppy makes it to Tuesday (stores closed tomorrow due to Canada Thanksgiving). I am at a loss regarding what to do. Both stores confirmed that they are not allowed to stock Metroplex or anything like it.
No - I absolutely do not agree. Here’s why. I didn’t realize white poop meant parasites because every single guppy I ordered online had white poop. Since the entire tank had it, I assumed it was normal. I lost about 20 guppies. I thought it was something in the tank because my betta tank was ok and I used the same water, substrate, etc. I moved the remaining guppies to a different tank. I had about 10 fry from 2 broods dropped in January and February. They all had white poop. They all died but one. None of them were growing. I started over - new 20g tank (the old one started leaking), new sand, new plants. Then I got a trio of guppies from a reputable source. Poop was brown. They were adult size guppies but THE SAME AGE AS MY TINY FRY. I saw a KG Tropical video showing how to mix meds into food. He was using Metroplex. He mentioned white poop was a sure sign of parasites. It’s white because the parasites are eating all the nutrients. My mouth dropped. I ordered it, 2 days after starting treatment, his poop turned brown. He’s grown 4x in size in 2 weeks and has developed color. Oh - he’s the only fish in the 5G tank. That’s why I don’t believe it’s stress. KG Tropical is a dedicated fish store in Maryland or Virginia. They have a live show streaming on YT every Thursday night. They have a ton of fish care videos on YT. They know what they’re talking about. I believe John, and my fish proved him right. I have a 15g with a black divider with holes for my 2 bettas. I have a tidal 35 on one side and had a sponge filter on the the other. The sponge filter side was too dirty. I replaced it with another tidal 35. Overkill for a 15g tank? Yes, but both sides are equally clean, that’s all I care about. I don’t think you need a divider , but you should treat the entire tank. Find a vet that can help you get fish medication. Are you far from the border? Could you drive to the States and buy it here and take it back with you?

Upvote 0

16degus

Got it. We can't go over the border - COVID-19 regulations. Even if somehow we got across, we would have to quarantine for 2 weeks when we returned. I am going to try and find a vet that treats fish. That is my only hope. I saw on one forum that there is a mobile vet that can come to your house to check out a fish, or so they say - it costs $247.00 plus tax for a visit though. Other option is to order it on ebay and see what happens. Have alot of figuring out to do.

Do you think I should quarantine the guppy by putting it into the 3 gallon?

Upvote 0

16degus

I ordered it on ebay.ca. It won't likely arrive until the end of the month, beginning of November, but at least I will have some on hand for future use if necessary.

Upvote 0

DeborahJeanne

Got it. We can't go over the border - COVID-19 regulations. Even if somehow we got across, we would have to quarantine for 2 weeks when we returned. I am going to try and find a vet that treats fish. That is my only hope. I saw on one forum that there is a mobile vet that can come to your house to check out a fish, or so they say - it costs $247.00 plus tax for a visit though. Other option is to order it on ebay and see what happens. Have alot of figuring out to do.

Do you think I should quarantine the guppy by putting it into the 3 gallon?
I’m such a home body I sometimes forget about the freakin virus. Of course you can’t cross the border. 247 is a lot of money! Try eBay and see what happens. I have no idea how mail works crossing the border, but it’s worth a shot. Try to find a vet who will give you phone advice or a dedicated fish store - not a petsmart or petco - just fish, nothing else. I ordered meds from Japan, no questions, no problems, came in the mail in a regular envelope.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mindy3
Replies
Views
spleenharvester
Replies
Views
Pwilly07
Replies