Guppy has Pop Eye - Related Queries Help

1. hud316 Member Member

I posted the below on the end of a description of what pop eye was but have had no responses so am reposting to see if anyone can answer my query about my quarantined guppy

I've just come to home find one of my female guppies with two swollen puffy eyes, I'd never seen this before and narrowed it down on here to pop eye.

Only thing is I'm not too sure what caused it.

I've had a few deaths the last few days so I done a half tank water change last night when the affected guppy was ok and added a chlorine remover and stress coat to the new water.

I have a lot of plants in my tank, could this be a cause?

My fish are normally fed Aquarium fish flake but last night I gave them some live bloodworm too which they seemed to love.

I have the affected guppy in a see through bag the shops sell fish in and I have it sitting in the tank to maintain water temp as I don't have a spare tank or another water heater or filter. Will the fish survive in the bag for a couple of days, I will do daily water changes for it?

I'm planning on going to my local fish shop today to see what treatments they have available for pop eye and what they advise.

Once again, brilliant post from the original poster but any further help that can be given is much appreciated....especially by my big eyed guppy

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/dec07/fish-popeye.htm
    This link may help you. Sorry to hear that your fish is ill. Pristine water conditions are crucial at this point. As for keeping the fish in the bag, and that's the best you can do for her right now, then I suggest adding an air supply line into the bag. You may want to consider a couple of water changes per day.
    Best of luck!
    Ken

3. hud316 Member Member

Thanks for your response Ken

I will keep the wee fella quarantined for now, have been reading up on a few sites most seem to be saying its usually not contagious to my other fish but best not to take any chances, will do daily 20% water changes and will get ammonia, ph and nitrate measuring stuff from my local shop and see what they advise.

Think I'll be asking santa for a spare tank too :;santaclaus

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hud here are a couple of links on good inexpensive ways to create a quarantine tank that you may find helpful:
    Cheapie QT tanks!
    Quick and dirty quarantine setup
    Too, a good test kit of your own will really help you. API Master Test Kit (liquid) is great and widely recommended on this site. I use it myself. Too, you can buy each test separately. I recommend buying the ammonia test first if you don't purchase the entire kit.
    Ken