Guppy has bleeding gill

1. rabbott Initiate Member

I noticed that when I brought my new female guppy home she had slightly red and inflamed gills. She was sitting at the bottom of the tank breathing heavily. I am also sure that she is pregnant. Originally I left her in the tank with the others but last night I noticed that she wasn't moving and one of her gills is bleeding. She is still at the bottom. Currently she is in a quarantine tank that I treated with salt and API Melafix. What could be hurting her? How do I tell if it is a disease, bacteria, or parasite? I will try to get a picture when she moves. I don't want to disturb her just for a picture unless I have to. Thanks.

Ammonia is 0

2. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

What are your other parameter readings?

You shouldn't treat something if youre unsure of what the problem is. It could cause more harm than good, and could certainly stress her out

3. rabbott Initiate Member

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    I ran out of nitrate test a few days ago and there is no pet store where I live so I have to wait till we go out of town or order some online. I can't remember the exact number but I know that the last time I checked nitrate the levels were good.

She had the red/inflamed gills when I got her. The tank she was in seemed good and none of the other fish have had any problems. She is still behaving the same in the quarantine tank. The fish in the main tank are all behaving normally. I used half the dose of salt and melafix. Neither of them seemed to have any good or bad effects so far. I have had good luck with the API Melafix combined with salt on guppies before. I just added and air stone to the tank. I am worried that if she doesn't start getting better soon she won't make it. She isn't eating. I hope it doesn't happen but if she dies is there a way to save the babies?

4. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Can you take a video?
    To my knowledge, no..theres no way to save the babies. Although I think they can 'induce their labor' but dont quote me on that.
    Can you post a picture of your tank setup along with a video of how she is behaving please?

5. rabbott Initiate Member

She died last night :( The fry were not developed. I took a closer look at her and she even seems to have a hole behind/under her gill. Sorry for the graphic pictures, I need to figure out what it is to protect the other guppies. One of the pictures (pic 3) taken from behind the gill you can see the hole and the small line is a bone. I had no idea that it was that bad.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

My tank is either a ten or fifteen gallon (was given to me and I just haven't measured it). It has some anubias floating and some planted as well as some young java fern and a group of liverwort. The tank is all guppies (feeder) and there is one betta. The problem with the guppy started before I added the beta. Originally the beta had been in a separate tank but he was acting very stressed so I tried putting him in the guppy tank and he has been doing great. He swims all over the tank (loves the plants) and doesn't seem to notice the guppies.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. rabbott Initiate Member

Sorry, not sure why it posted all the photos twice.

7. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Im sorry for your loss. Hopefully someone can give you an idea on what happened

8. GuppyKeeper007 Member Member

Maybe she got bit?

9. rabbott Initiate Member

I wish it was a simple as a bite but I don't think it is. Whatever it was progressed and grew. The hole is also very large and goes all the way to her insides. I did a full check of all the fish and I had assumed when I got the guppies that light pink gills on females was normal. Is it normal or could this be a larger issue? Also one of the other female guppies that is behaving fine and has normal colors has an indentation behind her gill. I think this could be the early stages of what the other guppy had.

Thanks to all the replies

10. GuppyKeeper007 Member Member

Maybe it was a worm

11. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Im not familiar with it but maybe HITH? TexasDomer might know something about it?