Guppy Has A Split Fin Tail

1. Jadeykinz Initiate Member

Hi all,
    I have a 175l bowfront with 13 guppies, 1 albino pleco, 2 gauramis, 1 molly, 1 albino ruby tail shark, 3 platys and about 15 Molly/guppy hybrid fry.
    Ph 7.5
    NitrIte 0
    NitrAte 80 (bit high I think)
    Ammonia 0

I have noticed in the last couple of hours my fancy male guppys tail has a clean split down the middle, doesn’t look ragged or rough (so I don’t think it’s from nipping) Was wondering what could cause this other than rough decs/plants and a strong filter. I’ve checked all. Really hoping it’s not fin rot (always assumed it was raggedy looking) if anyone has any answers for me id greatly appreciate it.
    Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Fashooga Well Known Member Member

Just do some water changes. The cleaner the water the faster it heals.

3. Susiefoo Well Known Member Member

That happened to one of mine. It can be a lot of reasons, from ornaments or rocks with rough edges, to catching it on the edge of a heater or filter, to fin nipping. Just keep the water parameters immaculate with plenty of regular good water changes and it will heal itself. My boy was back to normal within a week I think.

4. Adriifu Well Known Member Member

My guppy has always had a small rip on her tail fin. At first it worried me, so I used medications and all types of things for her. To this day, she still has a split. The rest of my fish are fine. I learned to get used to it because it doesn't seem to be negatively impacting her in any way. Your fish, on the other hand, may have a problem.

I would definitely do a large water change, as your nitrates are way too high; they should be under 4oppm. After that, add some type of chemical that lowers nitrates and get more plants. The high nitrates will cause algae growth, which can cause green water, which can cause a decrease in oxygenation. I would get an air stone to help with that. Considering the amount of nitrates, this is probably fin rot. You should probably buy medication just in case. I prefer Furan-2, but Fungus Cure works well too.

5. Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

Definitely do some water changes. Two 50% changes back to back. I keep my nitrates under 20 max but usually under 10. I wouldn't add any chemicals or meds though.

6. Jadeykinz Initiate Member

It’s practically healed already today. Will be doing a water change shortly anyway as everything needs rearranging. How often do you reccommend doing water changes until I can get my nitrate down? I already have 4 large plants and a small one (plastic ones though) the tank has a bubble wand that’s over half the width of the tank already. Won’t be buying medication unless it’s a must as I have fry in there at the moment. Thanks for your help

7. Adriifu Well Known Member Member

When I have an emergency with water parameters, I usually do a 15% change every hour.