Guppy Habitat

Gman

Am I correct in thinking that guppies are basically open water swimming fish that don't require hiding places ? I'm planning on plenty of plant cover of different heights in my new tank but not anything like large rocks or cave like decorations. I understand they use mid to top layers of tank water and don't spend much time near the bottom.

Gman

Yes I did but I didn't see anything about their favored habitat. I'm thinking the plants will be dense enough to hide the fry after they are large enough to put in the community tank and the varied heights will give the adults an object to relate to if that is what they do. I just didn't want to take up space with a decoration on the botton if they don't relate to it.

COBettaCouple

Gman said:
Yes I did but I didn't see anything about their favored habitat. I'm thinking the plants will be dense enough to hide the fry after they are large enough to put in the community tank and the varied heights will give the adults an object to relate to if that is what they do. I just didn't want to take up space with a decoration on the botton if they don't relate to it.
Your setup sounds good for them and I don't know that they'd need a little cave or anything. How big is the tank & what other fish do you plan to put in it?

Gman

It is a 55 gal. I enjoy the guppy because of the many colors they come in and the fact that you can have several in a tank. I'll put in a few corys and maybe some neons. I like to have a lot of plants so they can swim around through what looks like an aquatic forest with a clear area in the front middle of the tank. I find it fascinating to watch the live bearers give birth.

COBettaCouple

I've found that our cory cats like a cave or bridge type decoration. Maybe a natural rock formation type decor to keep your tank looking natural would fit in - or one of those natural looking stump decorations that I've seen in some of the tanks in the fish & tank photos forum would work in yours? Just a thought.. it sounds like a great tank either way. Best of luck with them.

Dino

In the wild, guppies stay in the aquatic plants near the shore.

wolfman21

I would add some plant cover, I think the guppies like some cover above, but don't really need to hide elsewhere. The natural rock formation mentioned above sounds cool. I have a tree root decor and the fish really love it, but for the cories a bridge would be good, otherwise a cave or sunken ship-something they can hide in.

Gwenz

I dnt know if my guppie is just odd but he spends a lot of time at the bottom lol! ;D and sleeps in a little cave thing. maybe he is just different lol!!

Gwenz

wolfman21

Mine sometimes hang around the bottom, too. I don't think it's anything to be worried about, they just hang out there every now and then.

tan.b

in my guppy tank I have a cave that no fish use :, and a plant pot on its side that's just gone in a few days ago and all the fish like exploring that, but don't spend a lot of time in it, just swim in, check it out and swim out. my guppies are constantly on the move picking bits off the plants (not damaging them, just picking microscopic bit off I guess) and generally looking for food 24-7! I have danis with them so that probably keeps all the fish active with them barging about! I shouldnt worry too much about a cave for them, but they do enjoy plants, and for a natural looking tank a terracotta pot looks good. even beter when its covered with java moss (thanks carol for that tip ). guppies are great fish as they are all so dif looking, and active and easy to breed (although I haven't managed it yet!). do however make sure you acclimate them really slowly. out of my 1st 5 male guppies, 2 died within a week, the next 5 guppies I got were female and they all survived then the next set of 5 males, 4 died within a week. another forum member has trouble with new guppies too and shes very experienced. it seems they are more sensitive than it seems. because of this I won't be buying anymore, hopefully what I already have now will keep breeding and keep the numbers up!
good luck
tan

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom