Guppy Grass for fry shelter?

JEGuerra

I recently made a post asking for advice on breeding guppies and mollies, so first off thank you all for your wonderful advice, but I have myself a new dilemma. I have never been a live plant guy, the one tank I have I use all artificial plants and it's been great. However, I am using a 55 gallon I got off of marketplace as a guppy/molly breeder and I've been considering adding guppy grass to help my lil fry not get eaten and all that. I've read an article or two but I am really interested in your guys' opinions, so please let me know!

GlennO

It grows fast without any special requirements and provides good cover for fry and inverts. I find it annoying to trim though, little bits break off and float around. Livebearer fry benefit from floating cover and guppy grass is not particularly buoyant. If not anchored it will float randomly around the tank until it gets wedged somewhere. I find that water sprite works well as floating cover.

HupGuppHup

My guppies love it. It's perfect for fry, they love swimming through it and nibbling on it. It's the main plant in all my tanks. I plant it in glass cubes filled halfway with pebbles so I can move it around and so the bottom half gets lots of light and stays nice and green. I just trim the top down a couple inches every week.

JettsPapa

I have some in a tub outside with guppies. It's gotten so thick that the adults have difficulty navigating through it, so they mostly stay below. I move some aside when I feed them so it's easier for them to access the surface.

It grows fast without any special requirements and provides good cover for fry and inverts. I find it annoying to trim though, little bits break off and float around. Livebearer fry benefit from floating cover and guppy grass is not particularly buoyant. If not anchored it will float randomly around the tank until it gets wedged somewhere. I find that water sprite works well as floating cover.

I completely understand the part about little bits breaking off, but for me it is buoyant.

Hornwort is another good option that does well for me.

kallililly1973

Another alternative is Anacharis and Java Moss. Both great plants for fry tanks. Provide plenty of cover as well as stuff for them to feed on. The Anacharis grows similar with very little care and it so happens I have plenty of both for sale on my easy to grow plant thread. Once you reach 50 posts you can check out the for sale listing on here.

Attachments

• AE49D6BE-334F-43B2-9E57-48618451674B.jpeg
    AE49D6BE-334F-43B2-9E57-48618451674B.jpeg
    233.1 KB · Views: 16
  • B16FB46A-ADA7-4A13-A99D-1BC0E07BFD74.jpeg
    B16FB46A-ADA7-4A13-A99D-1BC0E07BFD74.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 288776C8-D179-40AC-87E7-38C1FC01B858.jpeg
    288776C8-D179-40AC-87E7-38C1FC01B858.jpeg
    236.5 KB · Views: 17

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies