Question Guppy Got Attacked

Anika

Reaction score
I think my guppy got attacked by my betta. One second his tail was fine the next it was torn up! He hasn't been himself for a few days and he's definitely trying to hide and hasn't been very active. He is definitely stressed. I'm scared my betta will keep picking on him so Ive been keeping the tank light off for the past few days so the fish will sleep and not attack him but I know that's just a very temporary solution to keeping him alive. Ive also been dousing the tank with dechlorinaror with stress guard and aloe vera because hes obviously very stressed. My betta definitely tries to get him when the light is on and I know he will be able to catch him if he keeps trying. I have an empty small tank with a filter I could put him in. Probably about 1.5 gallons but I don't have a heater. Is that okay? What should I do?
20190604_192637.jpg

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would put him in that other tank as soon as you can (hoping it's cycled)
Bettas are known for killing and nipping guppy fins.
Your guppies fins will grow back, I have had my boys lose their entire tail up to the stump, looks like it hurts super bad... And it does grow and color back up. It just takes some time.
Adding dechlorinator won't really make him less stressed unless the tank isn't cycled and there is ammonia in the water.
As well as adding aloe vera isn't super effective either.
It's only really going to help if applied a lot closer to the fish, such as using a dropper while the fish is in a bowl, or using a cotton swab.
Aloe is a topical treatment, and having it diluted with gallons of water will render it a lot less useful and maybe even useless.
It's like if you put cream on a cut then washed your hands.
The cream is mostly gone after.

You definitely want to prevent him from getting more damaged or even killed. And the only way to make sure that happens is to move him.
If that 1.5 gallon isn't cycled yet, I would add the filter to your betta tank, let it run with the betta for 2-3 days, and do water changes on the 1.5 daily. Probably about .75 of a gallon each day.
Do you have an apI freshwater master test kit?
You'll want to check the water quality for sure or his tail could get infected.

As long as your temperature in your house/room temp water doesn't go below 65 or so, you should be okay.
I have kept many fish in heaterless tanks for periods of time when I couldn't afford them.
They will do okay so long as it doesn't get too cold.

OP
Anika

Anika

Reaction score
Crazycoryfishlady said:
I would put him in that other tank as soon as you can (hoping it's cycled)
Bettas are known for killing and nipping guppy fins.
Your guppies fins will grow back, I have had my boys lose their entire tail up to the stump, looks like it hurts super bad... And it does grow and color back up. It just takes some time.
Adding dechlorinator won't really make him less stressed unless the tank isn't cycled and there is ammonia in the water.
As well as adding aloe vera isn't super effective either.
It's only really going to help if applied a lot closer to the fish, such as using a dropper while the fish is in a bowl, or using a cotton swab.
Aloe is a topical treatment, and having it diluted with gallons of water will render it a lot less useful and maybe even useless.
It's like if you put cream on a cut then washed your hands.
The cream is mostly gone after.

You definitely want to prevent him from getting more damaged or even killed. And the only way to make sure that happens is to move him.
If that 1.5 gallon isn't cycled yet, I would add the filter to your betta tank, let it run with the betta for 2-3 days, and do water changes on the 1.5 daily. Probably about .75 of a gallon each day.
Do you have an apI freshwater master test kit?
You'll want to check the water quality for sure or his tail could get infected.

As long as your temperature in your house/room temp water doesn't go below 65 or so, you should be okay.
I have kept many fish in heaterless tanks for periods of time when I couldn't afford them.
They will do okay so long as it doesn't get too cold.
Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it! I will put him in the small tank asap and update on how he does

OP
Anika

Anika

Reaction score
So moved him to the other tank and he was doing okay, eating and everything but he unfortunately passed away this evening. He wasn't himself. Just stuck to the bottom of the the tank. He went peacefully. So sad to lose a fish especially when it could have been avoided. I wish I got him out of that tank away from my betta sooner

New Threads