Guppy Giving Birth

Cander

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey I know I just posted something but I’ve another question. My female guppy who is pregnant. She is going off and hiding she is all boxy and this is about 4 weeks. My only problem is I’ve a breeder box but she seems very stressed when I put her in there. Should I put her in there and turn the lights of for the night and just let her be. Last time she gave birth I wasn’t ready and I had to catch them all in a net.

StormTrooper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The problem sometimes with putting pregnant fish in a breeder box, is they do in fact get stressed out--its too small in there for them. A very good way of keeping her happy and keeping a lot of fry is to float some plants in your tank, whether they're real or fake. The fry's first instinct is to go to the surface so they'll be safe hiding up there in those plants and very easy to net them out. People will say doing it this way, you won't end up with a lot of fry--wrong. I just netted 35+ fry out of my tank with floating plants 4 days ago. I've done it this way many times before, trust me it works!

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with StormTrooper. I breed livebearers, and honestly...many "breeder boxes" can sometimes be a bit small, (as they're not bettas of course) and things can get a bit stressful and almost claustrophobic, even for guppies. If you opt to utilize a commercial breeding box--yes, do add a plant for ensured security and to hinder any pending stress. Most of my liverbearer tanks have Java Moss, Guppy Grass, Wisteria and some plastic plants and bare bottom/glass tanks. But if you wish to, (and save a few bucks as well) perhaps try this instead of a breeder box: There's a DIY 2 liter soda pop breeder bottle; there's a few online videos you can see how to construct it. It's very easy and takes mere minutes to complete. : ) More room for the fish, mom and her babies. And a bit less stress as well. Check it out if you wish to. : )

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom