Guppy Gender Question

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by Goldmoon, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Goldmoon

GoldmoonValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +25
    Experience:
    3 years
    Hello everyone! I recently got a beautiful trio of albino koi guppies and I was so excited I couldn’t stop watching them. Then, I noticed something strange. It first appeared that there were two females and one male in the trio but upon closer inspection, one of the “females” has a gonopodium AND a gravid spot. “She” is also built much more like a female than a male.

After noticing this, I did some reading and found out that females can theoretically become males in time even after mating several times before (as a female). Although many articles were vague and uncertain about this I was wondering... can this actually happen?

The guppy in question looks nothing like the male counterpart (more like the other female in the trio) but the gonopodium is certainly there. Has anyone had an experience like this before? Is it actually possible for a female fish to become a male? I would like to hear some opinions on this because I’m confused but also very intrigued. Some pictures are included for comparison between the actual male and possible male (former female?). Thanks in advance!

The possible male
    IMG_3281.JPG

The actual male
    IMG_3189.JPG

2. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +6,399
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Male 100%.
    They can switch up after breeding even though most don't believe it ..
    Stan can probably explain it better !
    @emeraldking

3. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +492
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
  4. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,070
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Unless you saw that fish drop fry, it was probably not a female, just a late male at most.

5. emeraldking

emeraldkingWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,222
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I've recemtly posted a topic about this overhere. Here's the link:
    https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...-comes-to-pregnancy-and-sexual-organs.413967/

I do have to mention that when a female does show a gravid spot and she'll change into a male, the gravid spot remains.

A pseudo gravid spot is something completely different. Males of xiphophorus species are known to have the ability to develop a pseudo gravid spot. it's not impossible that such a pseudo gravid spot does develop with another kind of ovoviviparous livebearer male different from xiphophorus species but that would be called rare. And when such a pseudo gravid spot develops, it will show up when they're juveniles (not earlier). And once it shows up, it will never dissapear but a pseudo gravid spot has got nothing to do with a female turning into a male.
    pseudo gravid spot.

I also do have to mention that with almost every livebearer species, the young males start off looking like females (without a gravid spot).