Guppy Gender

sierrah766

I have this guppy and I though it was female. It seems to have the right fun shape but she had no gravid spot. My males never attempt to mate with her am I missing something is she a male?

GuppyGangRachel

Female, males bottom fins don't have a back triangular fin, she or the males are possibly not sexually mature or they don't find her attractive.

LeviS

Do you have another picture from the side, maybe more level with the fish? Left orange one is female one under it is male. It’s hard to tell in your picture at initial glance I thought it was a male.

emeraldking

sierrah766 said:
I have this guppy and I though it was female. It seems to have the right fun shape but she had no gravid spot. My males never attempt to mate with her am I missing something is she a male?
It's definitely a juvenile male! No doubt about it!
The first anal finrays are already thickening and the analfin is also getting pointy already. And there's no gravid spot shown.

sierrah766

emeraldking said:
It's definitely a juvenile male! No doubt about it!
The first anal finrays are already thickening and the analfin is also getting pointy already. And there's no gravid spot shown.
That’s what I thought! Do you think it’ll be ok in my tank? I have 2 females and 2 males should I return him and get a new female?

emeraldking

sierrah766 said:
That’s what I thought! Do you think it’ll be ok in my tank? I have 2 females and 2 males should I return him and get a new female?
It would be a different sex ratio of what most people would think. But in general, they'll be okay together.
I do have to say that also overhere there are several tanks where more males are present in comparison to the number of females. And in those tanks I don't have to bother about males harrassing those females to be honest.
It's a generalization to have a ratio of 1m/2-3f. For not all livebearers have to live by this ratio. There are a lot of livebearers which can easily be kept at a ratio of 1m/1f without having to worry about any harrassment of the boys.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom