Guppy gave birth what should I do?

PotatoYourPotato

Help my female guppy gave birth after removing her from the tank because I suspected she was going to give birth, I don’t know what to do there a lot of fry in the bottom and removed the female, What should I do should I feed them?

PotatoYourPotato

Help my female guppy gave birth after removing her from the tank because I suspected she was going to give birth, I don’t know what to do there a lot of fry in the bottom and removed the female, What should I do should I feed them?

Upvote 0

Roman96

If your just keeping them for fun and they aren't a high quality strain your trying to raise fast as possible to sell, you can just crush up the flake food you feed the adults and feed 1-3 times a day. Do frequent water changes if they are in a small tank because they release hormones that stunt the growth of each other.

Upvote 0

PotatoYourPotato

If your just keeping them for fun and they aren't a high quality strain your trying to raise fast as possible to sell, you can just crush up the flake food you feed the adults and feed 1-3 times a day. Do frequent water changes if they are in a small tank because they release hormones that stunt the growth of each other.
What percentage of water change should I do?

Upvote 0

Roman96

What percentage of water change should I do?
How many fry and what tank size? It depends on the tank size and amount of fry.

Upvote 0

PotatoYourPotato

How many fry and what tank size? It depends on the tank size and amount of fry.
I got around 60-70 and I was not ready for the guppy to give birth so I go the only thing I had that was a 2 Gallon bucket I could put the fry in a 5 gallon bucket but that’s pretty much it.

Upvote 0

Roman96

I got around 60-70 and I was not ready for the guppy to give birth so I go the only thing I had that was a 2 Gallon bucket I could put the fry in a 5 gallon bucket but that’s pretty much it.
Thats not a good long term place for them, but it could work. You'd probably have to do daily 100% waterchanges if there is no filter and make sure to temp match water as fry are sensitive to that.

Upvote 0

PotatoYourPotato

Thats not a good long term place for them, but it could work. You'd probably have to do daily 100% waterchanges if there is no filter and make sure to temp match water as fry are sensitive to that.
I got no other filter than this filter that was used for treating dropsy and Popeye so I don’t know if I could use it?

Upvote 0

MyAquaticMates

If you don't have a cycled filter ready and the bucket might get too cold or anything maybe you could put them in a breeder net in the main tank until you can sort something out so they still share the water of the main tank but the adults can't eat them.

Upvote 0

Ghelfaire

Crushed flakes (like powdered), they'll eat algae if you have any on plants.
Live micro foods like baby brine shrimp are commonly used as food for baby fish.

Upvote 0

Marlene327

When you do feed them the finely crushed, powdered, flakes, or baby brine shrimp, only a tiny amount maybe 3-4 times a day. They don't eat much at all at first. If you can buy a packet of First Bites, it's perfect. Just really watch the ammonia in their water because it's so easy to overfeed.
Well I see you posted this twice, so you did get lots of answers in your other one.

Upvote 0

EdmGuppyGal

If you want to keep them it might be time to upgrade to a 10 g aquarium setup.
Remember the females can have a new batch of fry every month.

Also you should try to keep more females than males so the females don't get constantly harassed. Either that or separate them by sex into two tanks.

Upvote 0

PotatoYourPotato

If you don't have a cycled filter ready and the bucket might get too cold or anything maybe you could put them in a breeder net in the main tank until you can sort something out so they still share the water of the main tank but the adults can't eat them.
I’m currently moving few each hour to the 5 Gallon Tank and adding some plants like Pothos and Guppy Grass, The temperature in the bucket is about 72 which is the same as my main tank is that cold for guppy grass
I’m currently moving few each hour to the 5 Gallon Tank and adding some plants like Pothos and Guppy Grass, The temperature in the bucket is about 72 which is the same as my main tank is that cold for guppy grass
And another question I have a sponge in the outtake of my canister filter in my main tank I was thinking could I squeeze it inside the bucket It has been there for about 1 month.
Do you believe if I squeeze the sponge that I have in my output in my canister filter in the bucket that has been on for a month will I be able to introduce bacteria?

Upvote 0

MyAquaticMates

I think it should be fine for those plants.

Upvote 0

PotatoYourPotato

I think it should be fine for those plants.
Hello I upgraded my bucket a little bit more , I added more plant like more pothos some duckweed, Guppy Grass, coontail, Water Lettuce, Frogbit, and Salvinia minima, Do you believe that’s good? I counted all the guppy fry and there were 63.

Upvote 0

emeraldking

If you've got those fry in a bucket without a filter, you don't have to do a daily water change. But once every 3-4 days should be sufficient. And when you've got plants in it (and preferably oxygen plants), a small water change once a week should be sufficient. This works overhere as well.

Upvote 0

PotatoYourPotato

If you've got those fry in a bucket without a filter, you don't have to do a daily water change. But once every 3-4 days should be sufficient. And when you've got plants in it (and preferably oxygen plants), a small water change once a week should be sufficient. This works overhere as well.
I have a filter on the bucket.

Upvote 0

emeraldking

I have a filter on the bucket.
Well in this case, a daily water change in a new situation is of no use to get the waterparameters steady for those fry. Give it some time first to create a biological balance before you do a water change. It costs some time to get rid of the metals in the tap water. if you don't let that happen first and do a water change that soon, is only adding more metals in it. In all those years that I'm keeping fish, I didn't need to do that. Stabilizing the water conditions for those fry by renewing a part of the tapwater when it just got in, makes the stabilization take longer.
But why doesn't it hurt those fry if you just leave it or do a water change that fast, young fish are stronger than adults and adjust easier to other circumstances. Nothing more...

I do have to admit that smaller fish do produce more ammonia than bigger fish. For they do swim faster and the water that goes through their gills, will leave the fish through the gills with ammonia. But with a filter and/or plants, the problem will be solved as well. So, not only the waste of fish produces ammonia but also through their gills.

I do like to note this: A water change is a good thing to do is needed. Absolutely! But it's only useful if there's already a reasonable biological balance in the tank or bucket or whatever container you're using. In that case, the water parameters will adjust themselves faster to a good balance.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Something you may not want to hear but have you considered just adding hiding places in your main tank to give them a fighting chance and just allowing the strongest to survive? Floating guppy grass is a perfect hiding place for the fry. It doesn't sound like you are really prepared to raise this many fry to adults. Do you have a plan as to what you are going to do with them once they are grown? Keep in mind. This guppy just gifted you with 63 fry. What happens in a few weeks when she produces that many again and a short time later once again?.

I understand we want all the tiny creatures to survive but unless we have an outlet for them we can soon become overwhelmed with so many of them. It can become very stressful for you and once the tanks are overstocked can be unhealthy for the fish. If you keep all these fish alive and can find no outlet for them these fish will soon start producing babies.

I love my mystery snails. A couple of months ago I allowed one clutch to hatch. The rest of the clutches were discarded before they could mature. The one clutch produced 70 babies. Fast forward to yesterday. I started seeing tiny snails in my tank. It seems I missed one clutch of eggs. Some may think me cruel but I am crushing everyone I see. The fish in the tank and shrimp in another tank are enjoying the fresh food. I have no outlet for this many mystery snails and have no desire to keep that many of them. I feel sure this clutch contained at least as many snails as the one I purposely allow to hatch. My tanks would end up wall to wall snails.

Only you can decide if you are willing to let the fish do what they do in the wild. Big fish eat little fish.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Kevinthebreeder
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
emeraldking
  • WendiWoo
  • Guppy
Replies
Views