1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

guppy fry Important

1. g

guppy man Valued Member Member

I relly need help, every day I have one baby guppy that dies and I only have 7 more. I keep them in a large , hard, plastic cup that I keep in the tank to be heated, I clean there water once a day.

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

does water flow through it ? maybe put a breeder net on the side of the tank and not a cup..what foods are you feeding them? is the water you are cleaning it with, the same temp and ph as the tank?

Advertisement

3. OP
    OP
    g

guppy man Valued Member Member

No water flows, I feed them brine shrimp and crushed flakes.

4. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Look into getting a breeder net. It allows for some water flow.
    I'm not a breeder but I failed when using a plastic breeder box. Now that I've gotten a net, it looks like things are going better.

5. n

newguppies New Member Member

Maybe the female was some how stressed out which might make the babies born unhealthy?

6. T

Tim Wheatley New Member Member

I've always had success just leaving them in the main tank. Then again, my tanks have plants everywhere so there's probably more spaces to hide in.

My guess is that the brine shrimp is too large, try feeding them just crumbled flake food (roll it in your fingers). Also the water is probably bad keeping them like that. Get a floating breeder tank or something... Right now you're trying to make an ecosystem in a cup, rather than the 'fake river' a large tank with good filtration gives you.

7. redlessi

redlessi Well Known Member Member

I have also always had success leaving them in the main tank. They are great at hiding out and are really fast. If you have plants (fake or real) they will probably be ok.

8. Zenandra

Zenandra Valued Member Member

I would put them in the main tank or at the very least put them in a net breeder. They need the aeration from the filter, they won't do well at all in still water