Guppy fry

Fishmad

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi everyone I’m new to guppies and kind of fell into having guppy babies by accident. I purchased a pregnant female from local aquarium with the assurance ‘we’re always look g for guppies we’ll buy them from you’. Well my pregnant female has now had three batches of fry. I’ve found homes for some but when I called said aquarium I was told ‘we only take them in batches of 200 or more’. I’m a hobbyist and don’t have tanks for this number. I’m enjoying the evolution of these little fish and feel a bit miffed that I can’t now breed (selectively) with a view to selling (giving!) to my local store.

Aquashrimp42

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I only have a 26-gallon bowfront tank right now and I can't produce enough babies to effectively sell them to my lfs. About six months ago I got on aquabid and found some nebula steel guppies. That way I get to see some nicer looking guppies in my tank as they slowly grow up and eventually sell them. You could always try selling yours on aquabid if you can find a good strain to breed.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You need lots of tanks to selectively breed. You need at least two tanks per drop of fry, so you can separate males and females at about a month old, and you can keep each brood separate. I have 23 tanks in my fish room, and only have room for four lines.

johnbetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
u can get them sold in Brisbane if u make the trip up from nsw a lot of pet shops will buy them

New Threads