Guppy Fry!

Ryushokan

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So, a few months ago I started with my first 10 gallon tank in a few years. My goal, to breed guppies. Until I get the hang of breeding its all fun and games, after that though Im gonna breed them for traits and such. (should I avoid interbreeding by the way?) Finally today my work has finally paid off and I have ~14 baby guppies/fry. My first batch with many more to come. With another close on the way! Heres a picture!
20180528_193109.jpg

Its a bit of a mess, but they are so cute! Cant wait till they grow up, I can figure out the father, determine genders, name them, truly count them, see their personalities, and figure out my favorites!

RainBetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree! Guppy fry are so fun! I have about 150 right now in my 10G because my friend gives me her fry every time her fish have babies. One of them is already fully grown, and I love seeing how they turn out looking! When you buy a pregnant guppy, you can't be sure of what color the dad was, so you get mystery colored babies. One of my fry batches grew up and they were these super flashy, exquisite cobra guppies. I didn't even know my female was a cobra guppy! Have fun and post when they are all grown up

cody2posh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I LOVE raising guppies! I just started a tank blog on here about my combo Guppy/RCS breeding tank. I love it because in order to protect the young of both species from predation by the other (and even their own) I had to HEAVILY plant the tank, so I ended up making that 10g my first little foray into aquascaping, and the results have been more than I could ever have hoped for! I've successfully gotten a sustained, self-stocking tank that's so heavily planted I NEVER have to change water due to poor quality (obviously I still do water changes for aesthetic reasons) due to the plants fixing ALL of the nitrates and I actually have so many extra guppies/RCS that I regularly sell them to LFSs and effectively run my tank for ZERO net cost to myself (sometimes I even make enough extra to buy myself a burger and fries somewhere)

But yeah I also have some YouTube videos linked in the Tank Thread here 10g Guppy/rcs Breeding Adventure There's a couple up now with all kinds of fry aged 6wk, two drops at 4wk (drops actually ended up overlapping by almost 2 hours!) and quite a few more just 4-5 days old. Now not even a week after those fry dropped, my female red cobraskin dropped the fry from (hopefully) my yellow cobraskin male The tank is SUPER HECTIC right now as I'm sure you can imagine, but it's made for some awesome videos and HOURS of fun just watching them live and grow. I'll have a video up later tonight with these new fry, you can even see the yolk sack in this pic (sorry for the quality, my phone camera is terrible plus I had to zoom in deeply to capture the fish)

Thanks and good luck with your fry
- Cody
5158e1c866fc43b274ada8cc4ae5272a.jpg

Ryushokan

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
RainBetta said:
I agree! Guppy fry are so fun! I have about 150 right now in my 10G because my friend gives me her fry every time her fish have babies. One of them is already fully grown, and I love seeing how they turn out looking! When you buy a pregnant guppy, you can't be sure of what color the dad was, so you get mystery colored babies. One of my fry batches grew up and they were these super flashy, exquisite cobra guppies. I didn't even know my female was a cobra guppy! Have fun and post when they are all grown up
Will do! Im very excited! Figuring out a way to handle this next batch, at the moment. It really is a mystery, they all look the same right now, dont know the father, but if I ever bought a pregnant guooy the variety is more than 3 father possibilities, could be anything.

cody2posh said:
I LOVE raising guppies! I just started a tank blog on here about my combo Guppy/RCS breeding tank. I love it because in order to protect the young of both species from predation by the other (and even their own) I had to HEAVILY plant the tank, so I ended up making that 10g my first little foray into aquascaping, and the results have been more than I could ever have hoped for! I've successfully gotten a sustained, self-stocking tank that's so heavily planted I NEVER have to change water due to poor quality (obviously I still do water changes for aesthetic reasons) due to the plants fixing ALL of the nitrates and I actually have so many extra guppies/RCS that I regularly sell them to LFSs and effectively run my tank for ZERO net cost to myself (sometimes I even make enough extra to buy myself a burger and fries somewhere)

But yeah I also have some YouTube videos linked in the Tank Thread here 10g Guppy/rcs Breeding Adventure There's a couple up now with all kinds of fry aged 6wk, two drops at 4wk (drops actually ended up overlapping by almost 2 hours!) and quite a few more just 4-5 days old. Now not even a week after those fry dropped, my female red cobraskin dropped the fry from (hopefully) my yellow cobraskin male The tank is SUPER HECTIC right now as I'm sure you can imagine, but it's made for some awesome videos and HOURS of fun just watching them live and grow. I'll have a video up later tonight with these new fry, you can even see the yolk sack in this pic (sorry for the quality, my phone camera is terrible plus I had to zoom in deeply to capture the fish)

Thanks and good luck with your fry
- CodyView attachment 442384
Thats super awesome! Thanks for the links! and yeah everyones fry tanks seem super hectic and fun!

Jessica J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Good luck on ur guppy fry adventures!! We are having a blast with our guppy fry. They seem to get bigger every day. We have 2 different preggo phantom guppies about to drop any day now. We also have 5 about a month old and 6 about 4 days old.
20180529_161836.jpg
20180529_192652.jpg
20180529_165758.jpg

Ryushokan

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Jessica J said:
Good luck on ur guppy fry adventures!! We are having a blast with our guppy fry. They seem to get bigger every day. We have 2 different preggo phantom guppies about to drop any day now. We also have 5 about a month old and 6 about 4 days old.View attachment 442729View attachment 442739View attachment 442740
Thanks! Im looking forward to monitoring their growth, and seeing how they all end up looking, theyre all the same now but later itll be an adventure. Great tank by the way, hope it goes well with youre guppies as well~

Ryushokan

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
FISHYYY said:
I love guppy fry too! They're so cute. Congrats on yours. I also have a female due to drop any day now!!
Thats great! I hope everything goes well, my second fish aborted theirs T-T. Im sure your fry will be stupendous!

Ryushokan

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So a little update on the fry, its extremely subtle but they are starting to get pigmentation on their bodies and fins.
Screenshot_20180603-164635.png
Screenshot_20180603-164713.png

I noticed this yesterday, just 5 days after birth. I can already tell the father is most likely Starlight, the one I was hoping for. Anyways, Ill keep updating as I see them change! Theyve already grown a lot!

Bearwithfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That is very cool!! I cannot wait to get my tanks set back up and running. Your fry look very happy and healthy. Great job!

Following along to see more pics!!!

Ryushokan

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Bearwithfish said:
That is very cool!! I cannot wait to get my tanks set back up and running. Your fry look very happy and healthy. Great job!

Following along to see more pics!!!
Thank you! I sure hope so, they seem to be doing super well. Thanks for following along I plan to update soon!

Ryushokan

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So its been 13 days since my guppy fry were bornm Theyre twoce the size they were when born give or take a bit, they are showing a good amount of pigment in their tail fins, and seem very healthy.
20180610_175605.jpg
20180610_175604.jpg
20180610_175603.jpg
20180610_175256.jpg
Here are a few photos of the babies, got some decent ones along with a picture of the new tank I got from a friend for them. Theg handled the transfer well, I lost none to my surprise. While transferring I got the chance to do a head count, and I confirmed 14 of them! Anyways, I will put more updates out as they come!

Ryushokan

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Update Time! Theyre 24 days old at this point, and they are starting to show signs of their genders. I can see that based on shape and size, with slight gravid spot development.
20180620_194029.jpg

As you can see their bodies have grown tremendously, and their pigment is showing quite well. You can even see their gravid spots coming in for the females. Here are a few more pictures.
20180620_194034.jpg

A closer look of the little cuties.
20180620_194043.jpg

I managed to catch a flash from a baby that has her mothers metallic sheen.

Now, I have a special surprise, something pretty spectacular!
20180620_193859.png

Dawn has given birth again! This day was so stressful for me. My dad got me a birthing plastic thing, and I thought it was meant to hold and keep babies safe. But apparently, it is meant for the babies to escape into a safe tank away from the mom. I messed up big time, by the time I noticed babies, most were most likely eaten. Though I have a big tank with some decent spots to hide so here is hoping. I gathered all the parents and excess fish (9), and put them into a 1 gallon jug, with water from the tank. I quickly went to the store and bought a ten gallon that I set up using previous tank water. So now, I wait. Was a crazy stressful day, but even if I lost some babies, I have to focus on making sure these ones thrive in their giant home. I also bought Blood worms, Baby shrimp, and ordered vinegar eels (those creepy nematodes). Sorry for the huge update!

I am stunned! Upon further observation, Dawn didnt give birth to them, she is still pregnant! So the contraption is infact to keep babies in. Anyways, I fogured it out because some are albino blonde guppies, the babies. I though Sunlight, my albino blonde guppy might be pregnant for awhile but now I know XD Anyways, thats why I found so many babies all over! Ill keep this thing updated!

Ryushokan

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Now Dawn has really given birth!~ I dont know if she is finished but I count 14 or 15 babies!~
20180624_032303.jpg
20180624_032253.jpg

An interesting development with this birth was that there is a tiny yellow ball, I believe came out of her.
20180624_013801.jpg
20180624_013816.jpg

I believe that it is an egg, that never developed. Whether it was an infertile egg, it died before it became a zygote, or there wasnt enough sperm to fertalize it, whatever the case. I think its an egg or small yolk sac of a baby never developed. Its kinda sad, but also intriguing.

Ryushokan

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So, update! I moved the 14 big babies, to the 20 gallon. Along with Dawns latest batch!
That was yesterday, Eclipse might be pregnant and close so I put her in my 3 gallon.
A lot has happened though. Brother moved out, I got his tank, other brothers goldfish died, I got his tank.
Bought a 5 gallon Im growing plants in. Will be a shrimp tank.
Those same plants were sent to me by my grandpa, I put a bunch in the 20 gallon with my 40+ babies.
15308671302251596001256.jpg

Got Marimos recently. Also started cultivating, hopefully, vinegar eels.
So lots of activity. Now Ima sleep. Caude im tired, being a father is hard work.

Ryushokan

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Bearwithfish said:
Sounds like things are moving right along!!!
Absolutely! Thanks for sticking around, glad to not be the only one interested in my babies~

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom