Guppy Fry

1. Marc Well Known Member Member

Ok, just had my first experience with fry! My guppy has given birth and I managed to get a little over 20 into the breeder net. Any others are dead or not near the floating plants. I've been sprinkling in crumbled up spirulina flakes as I don't have any fry specific food. I'm heading to my LFS tomorrow night to get stuff but I'm not sure what they stock so I'll need lots of options if they won't be able to survive on flakes. What do I absolutely NEED for them?

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Livebearer fry can eat flake food as soon as they are born. So any good quality flake food is fine. I'm glad to hear your also giving them veggie flakes because its important for livebears to have greens.
    Carol

3. Marc Well Known Member Member

Thanks! I'm gonna see if they have baby brine shrimp at my LFS to get them some more variety than just flakes. That should be fine, right?

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Yes that should be fine, but remember the veggie flakes;)
    Carol

5. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

You can hatch your own baby brine shimpt thats what I do and I get a couple days worth of them with one pack and you do know that you can't keep the guppies in a breeder net for very long. Do you have any plans for a bigger tank for them or new homes?

6. Jason Well Known Member Member

How big do they get? and how long do they last on average.(brineshrimp)

7. vin Well Known Member Member

Marc - try this - it works great for me-

Here's an easy way to feed your fry.

All you need is:

Flake food
    A small zip lock bag (snack size works best)
    Wooden toothpick.

1. Pour a small amount of flakes into the zip lock bag.
    2. Remove the air from the bag and zip closed.
    3. Using your fingers, crush the flakes into tiny flakes and powder.
    4. To feed, dip the end of the toothpick into the water and lightly dry the end so that it remains fairly moist but not dripping.
    5. Dip the moist end of the toothpick into the flakes and dip them into the water.
    6. Watch the little buggers eat!

8. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

9. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

The baby brine shrimp are really small and last for 2-3days and bought a hatchery and packages from my lfs made by San Fransico Bay Brand and can be harvested every couple hours, sorry can't find a link to what it is. And I use tetra guppy flakes right now and crush them up real small and omega one veggie flakes and crush them up real small and also omega one veggie rounds. All work great and I am only using tetra since I need to use it up but feeding guppys are really easy to do.
    Need anymore help let me know and I will be glad to help you since I have done it before and am doing it right now.

good luck

Austin