Guppy fry to transfer in big tank

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Anji13, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Anji13Valued MemberMember

Hello all,

I have many guppy fry in my small 2.5gal tank. They are 2 weeks old now. When can I put them in big 20 gal tank. I have 4 adult guppies and 2 platies in it already.

2. junebugFishlore LegendMember

You can put them in a breeding trap in the big tank so they don't get stunted from poor water quality. The adult fish will eat the babies as long as they think those babies will fit in their mouths, so it's usually best to raise the fry separately if you have space and want to save them all.

Personally I don't remove fry, I just keep my tanks well planted and leave the babies in with mom and dad. This seems to keep things going well, and my fry survival has been excellent.

3. nicole4434Well Known MemberMember

When they wont fit in the adults mouth, which is about 3/4 - 1 inch long, which is usually around the 2 month mark, though the bigger the tank they grow up in the faster they do tend to grow and 2.5 gallons isn't that big, I noticed that when I left fry (or didn't notice fry) in the big tank that they were 2 times bigger than the sibblings I had pulled out and they were having to fend for themselves cause I usually didn't even see the hidden guys until 1-2 weeks after the babes were pulled, so they weren't being fed the babes in the fry tank were

4. LeafrayValued MemberMember

My usually get to 1 in around one month... If you provide enough cover with plants, they should be good with the adults... ( should )

Currently breeding: h/b purple guppies

5. Anji13Valued MemberMember

this was my first time so i did not want them to eat by their parents. My tank isn't that much planted. I have an ornament (tunnel) in which all adults go and enjoy and a single plants. I too have some sea shells kept in tank which can be hiding places. If i start transferring them now like 2 or 3 at a time... what are the chances that all will survive.. I am confused because I don't want all of them... And I don't know what their color would be as the guppy female was already pregnant when I bought her. So I am curious about colors also.

6. LeafrayValued MemberMember

If I was looking for colors, I would keep them in that tank a little bit longer with bi daily water changes

7. fishfisherValued MemberMember

8. LeafrayValued MemberMember

+1 for the marina hob, used to have one of those but it broke due to someone stepping on it :) :(

9. fishfisherValued MemberMember

What is the sex of the adults you have now? If they are Opposite then you are looking at having this problem continuously. A possibility is that you raise these till they are old enough to sex then get rid of the sex you don't want. Which I assume will be the female due to coloring. A way to get rid of them would be to donate to lfs or give away. Just make sure that there is a store to take them. Out of the 5-6 petco stores around only one does adoptions. Many people let the fry fend for themselves and if they live then they have earned their spot it the tank.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. fishy1New MemberMember

In general , it depends which fish (and what their size) you have in your bigger tank. It is not enough that your frys won't get eaten, it is a matter of if they can compete against other fish on food.
    I posted a link to a video about it:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice