Guppy Fry ratio?

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This isn't really a problem, but this has sitting in the back of my mind for sometime.

When it comes to my guppy fry's sex, I alway seem to get a 3 to 1 or a 4 to 1 male to female ratio out of all my batches (which is a little odd to me).

Now my nephew since he moved down to Lima, Ohio can't get any male guppy fry, he has 3 x 80 gallon tanks and well water now. Every time I go to visit him I'll bring all the male guppy fry he'll take. At first I thought it was my strain of guppies that gave me my high male ratio. But after six months of him having my male stain in his tanks, he still can't get any male fry.

He's now thinking about giving up on his guppies and start vocusing on just his swordtails which he doesn't have any problems with. I'd like to keep a common intress between us, cause it's about the only thing we comunicate about.

So is the old saying "there must be something in the water" true? Does anybody else out there ever xp anything like this?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What temps are the tanks kept at? I'm speculating here, but I know that some animals' sex is determined by the ambient temperature in their environment. Maybe it's the same with guppies?

Have you guys compared water parameters?

-Lisa

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
With my kribs, I know that it's the pH level that matters. When kept at pH levels below 7 you get all one sex in the fry. pH levels above 7 yield the other sex.

Perhaps it's the same with your fish.

Edited to add:

My curiosity got the best of me..... so, here's some very interesting reading....

Incidentally, mammals like me, my cat, and the dog, that lives next door, all have X and Y chromosomes, which create about 1/2 males and 1/2 females in each species of mammals.

But Guppies and other livebearing fish have X, Y, and Z chromosomes that produce about 1/3 males and 2/3 female Guppies. So the normal ratio for Guppies is two females for each male, and this may be the reason that this ratio works better in aquariums too.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There is a lot of speculation on this, swordtails have even been known to change sex. I don't know enough biology to give any kind of definitive statement, in my personal experience the guppy fry are pretty well mixed, but there seem to be trends by each particular mother. The larger ones drop many more, but still pretty even sex ratio.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Same problem with Appisto's, skewed sex ratios....Ph and temp (mostly temp) seems to be the verdict with the professional breeders and collectors.

Guppies could have the same problems. To continue the species, 1 male can fertilize many females and it may be just the genetics.

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
TedsTank said:
Same problem with Appisto's, skewed sex ratios....Ph and temp (mostly temp) seems to be the verdict with the professional breeders and collectors.
Interessing..... so we could have up to 3 differant facters here, PH, water temp or my female guppies (not my males) maybe the genitic carrier for the high male ratio/Nephew's low ratio.

I just left a message on facebook for my nephew and asked him to send over to me his water readings and temp. I'll post them here for you guys to look over when he gets back to me.

I know my PH almost always at 7.1 community tank temp between 80-82f.
Same readings in my breeding tank too, with a small ammonia reading that doesn't even register 75% of the time.

redlessi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have seen the same thing in my guppy tank. Each batch of fry has more males than females.

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Kunsthure said:
Have you guys compared water parameters?

-Lisa
Sorry for the delay, My nephew just got back to me with his water readings.

His PH 7.0 - 7.2 and he keeps his temps at 75 - 78 F

So temps is really the only big differance between our tanks

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads