Guppy Fry Questions

1. Happycatz7 Initiate Member

Hello again! I have a couple of questions about my three guppy fry. I currently have three 8 week old guppy fry in 5 gallons of water (10 gal tank with a divider, parents on the other side). I am wondering when the best age to put them back in with the parents. I have not been able to sex them yet, and they are only just starting to get colour. On the parents side of the tank, I have one female and one male. I used to have two males and one female, but one recently died. I know it should be 2 females to every 1 male, but the male shows no interest in the female, and they have been living happily together since the fry have been born. The female is not getting pregnant again, and they leave each other alone. I am also wondering when I should stop using the fry food and give them the adult food. I give the parents new life spectrum small fish formula, and the fry eat new life spectrum grow fry starter. Can someone give me some information on this? I really don't want to loose any of my fry, as there were only three born. Thanks!

2. goplecos Well Known Member Member

How big are the fry.

3. Happycatz7 Initiate Member

They seem to be just around half an inch long

4. goplecos Well Known Member Member

That's fine they're not even fry any more. I put mine in when they're still 1/4 inch.

5. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

You have a nutritional issue. My 8 week old fry are often over an inch long but they eat live brine shrimp half the time. They are 1/2" at abuot three weeks. Live food may be too much trouble for your situation but I would mix it up with some small frozen foods. Some floating weeds help too because the fry will eat the infusoria that lives on plants. Fry will browse plants and algae between feedings if present. Anyway, at 1/2" they should be fine for community if you only have guppies.

6. Happycatz7 Initiate Member

Do you have a brand or type of brine shrimp that you think will work better? Is it better for me to get live or frozen? Thanks for your input so far!

7. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Live is best for fry. If you'll scroll down a bit on this thread a brine shrimp hatching discussion starts. There are other good brine shrimp threads as well

Look What I Just Ordered Lol...

8. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

You could add cover like Guppy Grass and feed the Guppies well? Guppies tend to not be very big fry eaters in that situation.

9. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Personally I would just put the fry in with the adults. I feed my adult fish very small foods often anyway so fry get moved as soon as they are big enough not to get eaten.
    Even if they are not mating the female can reuse the sperm from one mating for up to 6 months. So you could put a male in with a female and they would mate then you could separate them and the female could easily have 3-4 lots of fry. However healthy guppies should always be breeding so it worries me a little that your male shows no interest in the female.

Be careful of overstocking. I would do 3-4 guppies maximum in a 10 gallon.

10. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

That works pretty well. What works even better but requires a bit of effort is net the fry out into a separate container for about ten days. If you feed them right they double their size and can can swim three times as fast by then and survive in the community tank. My guppies are not fry hunters by nature but personalities can vary. As you said, keep them very well fed at the appropriate time and half the problem is solved. Add the fry back to the tank at night or at the very least right after feeding the adults.

11. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Where did you read that? With proper maintenance that is WAAAY conservative. I currently have seven tanks with highend guppies that are inbred and supposedly delicet. None of my tanks are stocked anywhere near that light and I have honestly had a 99.5% survival rate the past six months. That's unusually perfect but point remains.

12. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I didn't read that anywhere, that is the maximum amount of guppies I would put in a 10 gallon.

13. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Fair enough, but after doing this a very along time, I'll just state that roughly one adult guppy per two gallons is very easy with minimal maintenance. One fish per gallon if you are doing consistent maintenance. I regularly exceed that when I need to for a few weeks. If the fish were not thriving I wouldn't because my breeding stock is very expensive. I'll leave it alone now.

14. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

I do agree that is kind of low. I always dislike hard rules like that. A lot f other factors play a part. Live plants, filters, etc affect it. I keep twenty plus Guppies on a twenty gallon.