Guppy fry question

Bgfish

When should you release copy fry into the community tank I’ve seen people say different things all over the Internet when is the best age

Bgfish said:
When should you release copy fry into the community tank I’ve seen people say different things all over the Internet when is the best age
Guppy fry voice txt

mimo91088

Well Known
I just leave mine in the tank from day 1. But im heavily planted so there's plenty of hiding places. And my fish don't really seem to bother chasing the fry. Within a couple of days they're just out chilling with the adults.

Timo2015

I didn't find the adults were interested in eating my fry too much, so once they were a couple weeks old and could fight the filter current on their own, it worked out fine.

Feeding can be a challenge though, since the fry need a lot of small foods when they're young but the adults get overfed and bloated if they eat that much.

Maybe try releasing one or two at first to see if they do ok, and then do the rest?

mimo91088

Well Known
Timo2015 said:
I didn't find the adults were interested in eating my fry too much, so once they were a couple weeks old and could fight the filter current on their own, it worked out fine.

Feeding can be a challenge though, since the fry need a lot of small foods when they're young but the adults get overfed and bloated if they eat that much.

Maybe try releasing one or two at first to see if they do ok, and then do the rest?
When I feed, I just crumble up some of the flakes into a fine powder for the fry. The pieces are so small the adults just ignore them and the fry get it as it falls.

OP
Bgfish

Bgfish

Timo2015 said:

Yes I actually did this earlier to with them when they were about 2 weeks And I believe they got eaten I would say but now they are about three or four weeks and bigger and stronger and I released one yesterday around six and it’s still there now swimming and it seems like it can get away from any of the fish that do try to nip at it and it’s swimming near the filter and doesn’t seem to get sucked up at all I was going to try to scoop it out if it couldn’t fight the current thank you guys so much for all the help

Gone

Well Known
Not all strains of guppies eat their fry, while other strains will eat every one. I'm lucky enough now that all the strains in my fish room leave the fry alone.

New Threads