Guppy fry net? Diy?

1. i

ivanjay2 Valued Member Member

[​IMG][​IMG] can guppy fry fit through these holes in the net to hide safely from there mother?

[​IMG]

2. SabrinaBrook

SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Hi Ivan!
    That is a very clever idea! Lets see if i understand what you mean. If you put the mothers in the net itself and the babies get born in there and drop through the net into the tank, yes that will work! Because guppy fry are so very small they will fit through that net to drop into safety. You must watch they dont get caught on where the net gathers though. The first thing guppy fry do is drop to the bottom while they get themselves together so this will work good as far as i can see.

3. OP
    OP
    i

Thank you Sabrina!

4. SabrinaBrook

Your welcome :) I watch my Guppy females very closely when they have their fry, the mums tend to hang around the top of the water while giving birth and if they catch a glimpse of one of the fry they will try to catch it to eat. So my advice is to watch them as closely as you can if you use this DIY net and make sure the fry is dropping through it. If not, dont panic you can just grab them out with a fish net as they are born like i have a couple of times before i brought a nursery/hatchery like in this photo :)
    http://imgur.com/sXbTTW6

5. OP
    OP
    i

Well I have 2 pregnant females, I have in a 10 g right now and they don't seem too big or too boxy at the moment but they have been pregnant for almost 3 weeks and they both are at the top corner right now, there gravid spot is also dark

6. SabrinaBrook

They don't sound to far away then, if they look round and their belly very dark black i would place them in the nets soon. Placing them in the nets will most likely bring on the fry sooner rather than later. Its hard to tell exactly but you can only do what you think is best at the time. Guppy fry are so so cute!

7. Innocent159

Innocent159 Valued Member Member

I lost a few fry to breeder net and human error when handeling the breeder net. It helps alot in terms of survival rate. Try not to stress the females. It can delay the birth.. I moved one female to a breeder net and she didn't give birth. As soon as i took her out and turn off the light she gave birth.
    Your idea looks very practical and as long as they don't get trap or female stress you will have fry.
    I prefer natural environment so i would recommend a planted tank with floating plants.

8. WeepingShadesOfIndigo

WeepingShadesOfIndigo Valued Member Member

I second the planted tank. You may lose a few fry but not many if you have floating plants. I have a female that LOVES fry, hunts them mercilessly and I watched her birth two days ago. Two of her fry were eaten and one of those was deformed so really just one wasn't fast enough. Now I have *sigh* over 20 fry from three females in my plants and my female though hunting them for hours hasn't gotten any.

9. OP
    OP
    i

Once the guppy female have babies, could I put them with males and try to get them pregnant again right away?

10. WeepingShadesOfIndigo

They will most likely already be pregnant. Females only need one contact with males to have many batches of fry. Usually one batch of fry every 28ish days for six months with one contact with a male.

The girls may need a few days to relax after birth before being chased by the boys but I just leave all mine in my tank and haven't had any issues.

11. Innocent159

Innocent159 Valued Member Member

Worst that happened to me was after giving birth the males will bug the female and she would look for spots to hide.

12. WeepingShadesOfIndigo

My biggest female is odd, she gets chased by all three of the boys and looks to me that she is hating it. Then the boys get distracted by one of the other girls and go to chase them but my big girl instead of heading for the floating plants or caves or tree trunk or any of the densely planted plants that she could hide in she dives after the boys getting back in front of them as if to say "hey what about me! Im your favourite".

Makes me shake my head.