Guppy Fry Killed Because Of Filter

LexaMary

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought a bigger tank for my Guppy Fry. Don’t worry, the tank is cycled and there is nothing wrong with the water conditions. I had noticed that the filter had pretty big holes and was worried about Fry getting sucked up in there, so I bought some sponge covering from my local pet store. I came back a couple hours later after having added my Fry into the tank and found 8 of the Fry dead and stuck to the sponge covering. What else can I do to make sure this doesn’t happen again? Do I just have to leave the filter off? Thank you in advance, it’s just super upsetting to come home to that.

LexaMary

Reaction score
There aren’t any other fish in the tank, the water quality is good as well as the temperature. They’ve been very healthy up to this point, so as they were stuck on the filter that’s all I can think of that would have killed them.

Tinytail

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What type of filter is it? And did you get the pre-sponge before they died or did you find them when you came home from the store?

Sorry about the fry by the way I have a few batches of fry right now and it’s so sad when some of those cute little guys don’t make it

Quinn_Lamb98

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Might I suggest foregoing a power filter (I'm assuming you are using a hob) for a more suitable sponge filter? No issues with fry getting sucked into it and still very adequate for fry tanks. Rather than a sponge covering for the power filter.

LexaMary

Reaction score
Might I suggest foregoing a power filter (I'm assuming you are using a hob) for a more suitable sponge filter? No issues with fry getting sucked into it and still very adequate for fry tanks. Rather than a sponge covering for the power filter.
I’ve just ordered one online after some research. The reason I hadn’t done that in the first place was because the smaller tank I had before used a regular power filter with a sponge covering and I experienced no issues with it.

What type of filter is it? And did you get the pre-sponge before they died or did you find them when you came home from the store?

Sorry about the fry by the way I have a few batches of fry right now and it’s so sad when some of those cute little guys don’t make it
It was a power filter that came with the tank I bought. Unfortunately I don’t quite remember the exact kind.

I put the sponge on before adding them into the tank. It was my first batch of fry, so I’m not experienced. I’ve just ordered a sponge filter so hopefully that will work just fine. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Quinn_Lamb98

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I’ve just ordered one online after some research. The reason I hadn’t done that in the first place was because the smaller tank I had before used a regular power filter with a sponge covering and I experienced no issues with it.

It was a power filter that came with the tank I bought. Unfortunately I don’t quite remember the exact kind.

I put the sponge on before adding them into the tank. It was my first batch of fry, so I’m not experienced. I’ve just ordered a sponge filter so hopefully that will work just fine. Thank you!
That should solve your issue! Everyone makes mistakes, especially on the first go at something. Good luck for your future fry

fishfoodlady

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When they get big enough to withstand the power of the filter, cover the intake with a piece of panty hose and a rubber band. This works perfectly for me.

jake37

Valued Member
Reaction score
You should run both the sponge filter and power filer for a couple of weeks before removing or turning off the power filter. This is to allow the sponge filter to establish bacteria.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There aren’t any other fish in the tank, the water quality is good as well as the temperature. They’ve been very healthy up to this point, so as they were stuck on the filter that’s all I can think of that would have killed them.
You said you bought a tank for your guppy fry, and there are no other fish in the tank, and the tank is cycled. How did you cycle the tank? How long has it been set up? What are your actual test readings? Are you testing with test strips or a master test kit?

Buying a tank for fry suggests you purchased it recently. It usually tanks at least a few weeks no matter what method you use to cycle.

In my experience, most fish that get "killed by the filter intake" actual were weakened by some other issue with the aquarium, such as water parameters. Since you recently set up the tank and the fish died right after you put them into the new tank, I'd be more concerned about water issues than a filter with a sponge on the intake. Knowing your actual test readings would be very helpful. Sometimes they might seem fine, but there can be clues, and it's all about putting clues together.

Thor555

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, when fish die they will often end up on the filter intake ... that's generally where everything goes.

That said, when I used to raise cory fry - I did it in a separate tank with only a couple of sponge filters.

But ... I discontinued that. Now I don't even try to breed and any "hatches" in the main tank many will die off (not from the filter but for other reason) and a few survive. This is fine since I'm up to over 20 cories and not sure how many more I can sustain at this rate.

jake37

Valued Member
Reaction score
This is true; but i wanted to point out that i frequently fine live frys in my canister filters (I have a few i put into a breeder net that are doing just fine). Just saying that healthy frys do end up in the filters now and then (in my case I've found both guppies and swordtails in there).

Well, when fish die they will often end up on the filter intake ... that's generally where everything goes.

That said, when I used to raise cory fry - I did it in a separate tank with only a couple of sponge filters.

But ... I discontinued that. Now I don't even try to breed and any "hatches" in the main tank many will die off (not from the filter but for other reason) and a few survive. This is fine since I'm up to over 20 cories and not sure how many more I can sustain at this rate.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom