Guppy Fry Keep Dying

rrbauer96

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hey all,
So one of my females had her latest brood about a month ago, and I started out with roughly 14. Today I am at 6 and I'm not quite sure what is happening. I've slowly been loosing the fry throughout the last two weeks but everything seems fine. They are the only inhabitants in their planted 10 gallon besides a female bristlenose pleco who doesn't seem to bother them at all.

I'd really like to figure out what is happening since half of them were from my female and half of them were imported to me. Any idea as to what is going on is appreciated. Thanks

My latest water parameters:
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm
pH : Roughly 7.4

rrbauer96

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Have you noticed any swimming issues before they die? Are there any signs on the dead fry sich as pin tails, discoloration, etc?

You say your fry are roughly 2 weeks old. What size are they? Do you have live plants? How often are you feeding them? Doing WCs?

How old were the imported fry when they were shipped? How were they shipped? I am always against shipping fish before they reach an inch in size because they rarely make it ime.

rrbauer96

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Have you noticed any swimming issues before they die? Are there any signs on the dead fry sich as pin tails, discoloration, etc?

You say your fry are roughly 2 weeks old. What size are they? Do you have live plants? How often are you feeding them? Doing WCs?

How old were the imported fry when they were shipped? How were they shipped? I am always against shipping fish before they reach an inch in size because they rarely make it ime.
Sorry if I worded that wrong, but they are a little over a month old now. They have started dying off within the past two weeks. And regarding discoloration, about half of them haven't started showing color yet, but the other half are blue tuxedo's and are blue on their lower half.

Their size is a little varied, but they are mostly half an inch. And yes I have some java fern, cabomba, cholla wood, and a marimo.

I usually feed about 3 times a day, and do wc's about 3 times a week. The half of them that were shipped were between 1-2 weeks old when shipped. The seller gave me 9 and all were alive when arriving. Sadly there was no heat packs but I drip acclimated them since the temperature was so different.

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
@rrbauer96
Ah, that sounds a lot better

Sorry, looks like i worded that wrong too. Have you noticed any unusual blemishes or marking? Like a red stomach or white eyes? Are the dead fish correctly shaped and proportioned? Like pin tails or missing lips?

Ive found that fry are particularly prone to bacterial infections, and usually manifests itself in small ways that you wouldnt notice unless you are looking for it.

rrbauer96

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
@rrbauer96
Ah, that sounds a lot better

Sorry, looks like i worded that wrong too. Have you noticed any unusual blemishes or marking? Like a red stomach or white eyes? Are the dead fish correctly shaped and proportioned? Like pin tails or missing lips?

Ive found that fry are particularly prone to bacterial infections, and usually manifests itself in small ways that you wouldnt notice unless you are looking for it.
Thankfully nothing wrong with their eyes or stomach. And whenever I find a dead one, the only thing I see wrong is that their color is completely washed out and it looks like they've been dead for awhile, even though I count how many I have every night so it had to have died that night.

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thankfully nothing wrong with their eyes or stomach. And whenever I find a dead one, the only thing I see wrong is that their color is completely washed out and it looks like they've been dead for awhile, even though I count how many I have every night so it had to have died that night.
Hmmm, do you think it could be columnaris?

rrbauer96

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I did have an issue with it in a five gallon a few months ago. I'm not too familiar with it so I'll research it a bit more when I'm off work.

rrbauer96

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well not good news! I just found one of my fry on the verge of death and not quite sure what to do. He was stuck in my sponge filters flow so I scooped him out. He is just barely breathing. Any help would be appreciated
1527433826650.jpg

rrbauer96

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Update: He ended up passing but I'm not quite sure what caused it. There doesn't seem to be any abnormalities besides his stomach being very white.
20180527_134343.jpg
20180527_134351.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom