Guppy fry in one gallon..

1. markah1 Member Member

Hey everybody. Well my guppy finally dropped a decent load of fry. About 35-45 to be exact. Anyways, I managed to save 6 fry and put them in a breeder net. Theres still about 10 or so hiding in my anacharis and java moss but the adults will probably find them soon enough. If not, I can always give them away if they manage to survive. (I dislike the idea of little baby fish dying!) But oh well, thats nature right?

Anyways, I wanted to ask you guys a question about housing the fry. I wanted to keep them in the breeder net until they got big enough but I didn't want them keep them in such a small space. The breeder net is only 6" x 6". I have a one gallon tank that I use to grow java moss but it is currently empty. I never needed a heater or light since java moss grew without heat and without much light. Anyways, I know guppies need heat and without it they won't grow as fast but it sounds like a fair tradeoff since I am giving them to my girlfriend soon enough who is currently cycling a 20 gallon. I just wanted to keep them in there until they were big enough not to be eaten since I want to keep a couple. I gave away my three harlequins so I now only have 3 adults in my 10 gallon.

Darn it! I made this way too long. Sorry! Anyways I'll cut straight to the point. Can I keep them in a 1 gallon without a heater or light with 50% water changes with prime daily? I can also use my small undergravel filter that came with the one gallon. I have egg yolk and hikari first bites right now so feeding them will not be a problem. I would only have java moss and a small amount of gravel in there. If it is not possible, I will scrap some money together and buy a heater. College made me broke but I will do it to save my fish.

If you read the whole thing, God bless you and thanks! Have a great day/night everybody!

2. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

A gallon is fine for 10 or so fry when they're very young, inder 1/2 inch. If your room temp is in the 70s they'll be fine. Maybe even in the high sixties. They will grow faster if they're warmer. As long as you have a filter and they don't freeze or starve, you should have some that grow up. Fry are very easy to take care of... at least, guppy fry are.

3. cameronpalte Member Member

They are pretty easy to take care of. I'd say your tank is fine if you are planning on giving them away but 1g is only ok for them for ~several weeks. Another option you have is a 10g glass aquarium with nothing else costs $13 at walmart....

anyway that is fine for now. Your undergravel filter should be fine as long as you make sure it doesn't suck up fry.

Your heater is a necessity but if you can't afford one, then you should increase your room temp to mid 70s.

4. DPM Initiate Member

1g will be fine for 10 young fry but when they get bigger you will need to put them in a new tank
    it would be good if you get a heater