Guppy Fry Help

babiimoore

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
so im in kinda over my head.. i like to take trips to pet stores when im bored to just look around and satisfy my new obsession for fish. yesterday i went to petco and saw a bunch of guppy fry being slowly eaten, an employee who was working in the fish section was also watching and seemed very emotional about it. she asked me to take them for free to save their lives.. so.. of course i couldnt say no. now i have these 5 little guppy fry that im assumimg are only a couple days old if even that. i have them in a pretty good size breeding cage/net that was given to me with the 15 gallon. unfortunatly my tank is still going through cycle with Tetra safe start in the water.. so i wont be able to preform a water change for at least a week.. i ordered another bottle of TSS in hopes that if i dose it again that itll cycle faster?.. the tank is heated to 79. i have fed them powered flakes that i crushed up last night when they got home and then again this morning. my question is, if theyd be better off in a nonheated container that im able to give daily water changes? or if theyre better off in the heated 15 gallon that does contain some ammonia and some nitrites? and if theres anything specific i have to do for their survival?

Attachments

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gosh. I don't know if they will survive in the tank with high ammonia and no water changes. Do you know what your water temp will be at room temp? If you can keep at 74F or above, they should be alright in a container with daily water changes using Prime. Will you have a filter or air bubbler for oxygen? I actually turned my heater off on my goldie fry tank after a couple of weeks because it was staying at 74 - 76F anyway.

babiimoore

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Goldiemom said:
Gosh. I don't know if they will survive in the tank with high ammonia and no water changes. Do you know what your water temp will be at room temp? If you can keep at 74F or above, they should be alright in a container with daily water changes using Prime. Will you have a filter or air bubbler for oxygen? I actually turned my heater off on my goldie fry tank after a couple of weeks because it was staying at 74 - 76F anyway.
i just temped my temporarily unheated 5 gallon that houses a couple ADFs, and it came back 73.4. so i assume another container would temp similar. would this be too cold?

i just ordered a heater, it will be here saturday. i needed one for ADFs anyways. will use it for a month or two for the fry.

can i feed them some frozen (thawed) bloodworms if i crush them up?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom