Guppy Fry Help

1. M

Montyland New Member Member

Four days ago my one of my female guppys unexpectedly gave birth to three guppys. Luckily I had a breeder box and and was able to rescue all three guppys. Unfortunately the female guppy died so I got a new one. After two days in my tank the new female gave birth to 10 guppys. The problem is that I did some research and realized that I should only keep guppy fry in a breeder box for 2 weeks max. I do not know what to do after two weeks because I think that my guppys will be eaten by my three adult guppys and my seven neon tetras. Any advice would be appreciated

2. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

They can be kept in there until they are large enough not to get eaten.
    Where did you get that information from?

3. OP
    OP
    M

Montyland New Member Member

Wouldn't there growth get stunted as they grow older?

4. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

A lot of live plants are best. Mine do well in Hornwort and Java Moss. IME Unless you have one of the really big breeder boxes you can't keep more than 5 at a time in there. You could get a 1-5 gallon baby tank. I have a 5 gallon but you could get a away with keeping them in a heated and filtered one gallon until they are about 1 month old, or until they reach 2-3 cm.

Male guppies are very aggressive and will attempt to eat the fish until it is 2 cm. Even if they can't eat the fish it will stress the babies. You can't keep 13 fish in a container less than a quarter of a gallon.

5. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

"Tupperware" type containers from the Dollar Store work well enough to get a little size on your fish. Heaters not necessary, and nor is aeration if you keep the stocking low and the water changed out. With some weeds you can put them in the main tank soon without losing many. Most of my adults are not that aggressive if I keep them well fed when the fry are very small. Feeding time is probably the most dangerous time though. It will draw the young fish out and the adults are in feeding frenzy mode.

6. Littlebudda

Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

My guppies dropped a week and a half ago didn't catch them just left them in the tank it is heavily planted So they made the first week ok now after 10 days they are big enough that the adults don't even look at them and they swim around at the surface with the rest of the fish

7. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Thankfully most of mine do that as well. The plants are the key. In addition to protection they browse them for tiny organisms and clearly grow faster. I have a few adolescent male guppies that are going to be a problem. A watched one catch a sword fry a few days ago. Took him ten minutes to swallow it because it should have been too large. I think they are worse than the adults as far as fry hunting.

8. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

It all depends on the Guppy. Mine are super aggressive and will kill most babies.