Guppy/fry Help In Keeping And Identifying

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Mosaic Guppy Keeper, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Mosaic Guppy Keeper

Mosaic Guppy Keeper New Member Member

Hi! So I got into fish keeping recently but I do have experience with other aquatic animals. Recently, I set up a 10 gallon tank and let it cycle to prepare for my first fishes that weren't gold fish. Today, I went to a really amazing fish shop called "Monster Aquarium" in New York to pick out said fish. After much research online and speaking to the owner, I bought two female "Drum Ear Guppy" or at least it's what was written on the tank. They are really beautiful guppies and I couldn't be more excited. However, when one of the workers were netting the fish, he accidentally caught a fry as well. I don't know if he noticed or rather he didn't care but he bagged it with my two guppies. When I got home, I looked up how to keep fry with adult guppies since I wasn't sure if the fry was the same species as the ones I meant to purchase. After much research, I decided to seek out help from fellow more experienced fish keepers.

So far, the fry has found him/herself a hiding place in my fake aquarium grass and the adults doesn't seem to be interested. I went back to the store and bought some baby brine shrimp to feed the fry. The adults were more excited and went straight for the brine shrimp and I was worried that the fry was already dead since guppy fish can eat their young. About a few minutes into feeding, I finally saw the fry and was relieved, I love that little guy/girl even thought my intentions were never to buy him/her. It was then I realized that it was hiding in the fake grass and would come out only a little to get the shrimp that drifted by. So the good thing is that it's eating and so are the adults.

So it's about 10 hours now that I've brought them into their new home and so far there hasn't been that much problem. I did notice one of the female was kinda nipping at the other and got worried. Luckily dropping a few flakes into the tank stopped the nipping. I read online that they nip to establish dominance so I was wondering if it was true.

Also, I tried googling the name of the guppy I got from the store and nothing came up so I was hoping maybe some of you can help, I will attatch a picture of them below; 6176690448_IMG_6296.JPG 6176690448_IMG_6303.JPG I also don't believe the fry that I got is the same species as these but as it grows up, I will hopefully find out. Thank you!

2. Aster

Aster Well Known Member Member

Wow, those are gorgeous females. I'd say they're blue grass.

Once the fry gets older you'll be able to see if it's part of their strain. It probably is, if it was in the same tank.

3. OP
    OP
    Mosaic Guppy Keeper

Thank you so much!

4. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Never heard of a drum ear guppy, but have heard of dumbo ears... pectoral fins on these guppies are large... not sure if it's a male specific trait or not though...

5. OP
    OP
    Mosaic Guppy Keeper

Maybe I read the words wrong, they didn't have the best of hand writings but thank you! The fins on these guppies are pretty big so I'm sure you're right!

6. Cori Elizabeth

Cori Elizabeth Well Known Member Member

Guppies will eat any fry that can fit in their mouth

7. OP
    OP
    Mosaic Guppy Keeper

I heard so I actually made a trip to one of my friends who also happens to be a fish keeper(more experienced that me of course). He recently also breed some guppies and said that he can take care of it for me so that problem is solved. He said that if it was the same species as mine then when it gets older, it should be different than the type of guppies he has so there should be no trouble getting it back. Thank you so much for the info!

8. G

Guppyholic New Member Member

Mosaic dumbo ears are really beautiful! Yes, your guppy is a dumbo ear strain, the reason why you cannot find anything about "drum ears" guppy on the internet. Lol but we could only be actually sure with the guppy ID once we have a glimpse of the male of a guppy strain. Females don't really show much coloration and sometimes, 2 entirely different strains of female guppies will show very same coloration or no colors at all that is why guppy ID by the female cannot be guaranteed true. But definitely not a female blue grass as what someone has mentioned above, especially that you've mentioned it is a dumbo ear strain. I don't think a dumbo ear blue grass is available yet in the hobby, if not rare. But dumbo ear mosaics are (like dumbo ear red mosaic, dumbo ear purple mosaic, dumbo ear chili mosaic, etc.).

9. OP
    OP
    Mosaic Guppy Keeper

It's impossible to know the exact species I guess since the males were sold few days prior to when I got my princesses and the shop keeper was more concerned about more expensive fish to care about the exact species. Oh well, either ways I love them both plus they're both pregnant and on just gave birth yesterday!

10. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Congrats!

11. G

Guppyholic New Member Member

You mean guppy strain. I understand that, most pet/fish shop owners/keepers don't really know what they're selling or will give you wrong or undetailed name. How does the male look like? Was he also purple? Forgive me if you've mentioned that but I'm kinda lazy to go back top the thread and I'm already writing this re

12. OP
    OP
    Mosaic Guppy Keeper

the males were sold before I visited the store so i have no idea what color or strain he was

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice