Guppy Fry Care

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Katkatt, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Katkatt

Katkatt New Member Member

So it turns out that TWO of my guppies are pregnant. Great job, PSP, you keep your males and females clearly separated.

But, that's beside the point, I need very quick tips! I do have a spare 5-gallon tank, but I'd rather keep the fry in the main tank; can I keep them in a net breeder? They're not quite born yet but the main female looks so close that I'm already prepping for the worst. I'm scared that the two different birth-groups will fight/eat each other if I keep them in the same net.

What should I do??

Edit: ...it may or may not be more than that.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,
    Keeping them in a breeder net should be fine however, keeping them in a fry will be better in my opinion as of because the fry have more room to swim in. Also, keep in mind if you keep them in the 5g you'll need a sponge filter so that they won't get sucked in.
    If you don't have a sponge filter, a breeder net should do fine.

The 2 batches of guppy fry shouldn't fight, they are still fry after all. But it might be quite cramped in there, so you could use 2 breeder nets.

3. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

Fry very rarely fight with other fry. I have 3 demasoni fry with 6 molly fry in my 10 gal fry tank right now and they are both fine...for now at least :)

4. Ed204

Once they start to get bigger, remember to take out the demasoni fry lol. Or else, the molly fry will get torn into shreds.

Best of Luck with your fry!

5. APierce

I saw baby molly fry for once and I had only 3 demasoni fry in there and thought to myself....will this work for a little while at least? It does, I'm trying to figure out a different arrangement asap though, the demasoni are about a week and a half old and the molly are only 2 days old.

6. Ed204

Wow, where are you planning to put the demansoni fry in the future?

7. APierce

I've got some bins that I could turn into a fry tank for a little while, I've got enough sponge filters to get me through a few emergencies :) I might have to get an extra heater though, I don't think any of my back ups will fit. After they grow up, I might actually sell them or something. I started out with 4 of them, I have 10 now, don't really need anymore.

8. Ed204

Wow, we don't need heaters here in Indonesia. We're a tropical country, my tempreture in my tanks always stay at 74-80

9. APierce

It is 74 in my house right now, but my cichlids would get mad at me if I made their water that cold lol :)

10. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

Different batches of fry will not fight eachother, or eat eachother for that matter. You can raise them together without a problem.
    As for where to keep them, a breeder net would be fine, but I am concerned that it will be too small for them. I would either put them in the 5g for the first few weeks (and even that is still too small) or let them have the run of the main tank. How large is the tank? You will likely be overrun anyway, so start looking for a place to rehome the fry. Anyway, if you have a bunch of hiding spots and floating plants, most of the fry will survive and they won't be packed like a can of sardines.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice