Guppy Fry/birth Question??

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Bubbleguppy9382, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Bubbleguppy9382

Bubbleguppy9382Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +25
    I came home to a fish gave birth to 4 fry but they're premature 2 are already absorbing they're snacks and swimming 2 I'm not sure will make 1 they're snacks are huge...she still has alot isndie of her and not sure shell drop them anybody have premee guppy fry that look like yellow socks on them? Not posting pics cause I'll get harassed or w.e.

Can a guppy have a miscarriage/premature birth to only a couple in my case 4..fry and then later have more or will she more then likely absorb them...its been almsot 7 hours since she had 4 fry premee! And 2 survived sacks are almost absorbed and they're swimming, sleeping already 2 were born dead was curious if shes done or if shell have the others in her stomach shes huge...p.s. the 2 survivors are soooooo tiny they're in a fry box till they get bigger

Her nearly 2 weeks ago

Attached Files:

2. JtheFishMan

JtheFishManValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +151
    Experience:
    1 year
    Yes. All guppy fry have the yolk sack on their belly, but most of them absorb them in the mother's stomach, before delivery.

Premature fry can still have a yolk sac, and they will continue to absorb that sac until it is completely gone. Some fry have bigger sacs than others, just depending on how much they absorbed before they were delivered.

Most fry like this make a full recovery, living a long, healthy life. But, some of them don't make it, because sometimes the sac can be too heavy for them to swim, or they are not absorbing properly. So, don't be sad if a few of your fry that have the yolk sac don't live. Hopefully, all of your fry will be ok.

3. OP
    OP
    Bubbleguppy9382

Ratings:
    +25
    2 died last night 2 slipped threw the holes this am soooooo tiny I cant find them I seen 1 by stone this I think other is hiding in floating plant...his sack absorbed...maybe they got eaten I'm not sure...poor fishes
    ..is thick red poop a miscarriage or sign of birth will be soon? I have 3 oremgmat fish pooping thick red pooped and squared iff qierd!

2 livingbabys looked like this 2 dead ones are in the pic to

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2019
  4. fjh

fjhWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,107
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Yes, It is quite possible for a female to drop a few fry, wait a few days before dropping some more, etc...
    However, usually premature births are caused by stress and If the mom is stressed she might also abort the rest of her fry. It looks like you have the fry in a breeder box - is the mom on there too? You might want to move her back to the tank and scoop out the fry after she gives birth.

5. OP
    OP
    Bubbleguppy9382

Ratings:
    +25
    I moved her out of it like 7 males in the tank was trying to save some but shes still a swimming balloon but def not a dark gravid so idk maybe just 1 fat fish...I did get 11 fry from 1 female 2.5 weeks ago but I have no idea who mama is

Become a Fishlore Member